Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drmevo

Extension bar for Malone square rack

9 posts in this topic

Probably a long shot, but I'm hoping to find an extension bar for my Malone square roof rack bars (which are similar to the Thule square bars). The Thule version is called the Outrigger II, and I think Yakima has a similar product, but Malone does not. My intended use would be to assist in loading a 90lb canoe. Does anyone happen to know if the Malone bars will accept the Thule Outrigger? Or is there some other DIY solution?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Possible diy fix. Get two of these, two extra crossbars, four extra nuts- sandwich the u bolts on to the trailing edge of the bar, slide a pipe into the u- bends.

17BD1CE2-7E82-4B27-9E3F-5CB13DC2435D.jpeg

Edited by cheech
Photo

8 mins ago, cheech said:

Possible diy fix. Get two of these, two extra crossbars, sandwich them on to the trailing edge of the bar, slide a pipe into the u- bends.

17BD1CE2-7E82-4B27-9E3F-5CB13DC2435D.jpeg

Thanks for the idea, but not sure I follow. What are the two extra crossbars for? 

30 mins ago, cheech said:

The crossbar bridges the u bolt.

2835AEDD-E1D2-4113-9C90-37BDA38CDC7D.jpeg

Ah, I see. I thought you meant roof rack cross bars! Makes sense, thanks. I think my roof rail attachment points are too bulky to allow for clearance but I’ll check when I get home. 

Take pictures of what your working with. The u bolt idea should work, just use a butterfly nut on the outside instead (for adjustments on the fly).

When I had my Thule bars I made a load assist bar out of fence post out of Home Deport. Slides right over the square bar.  You just need the bars to stick  out about 6” or so.  The bar will tag right on. Make it 3’ long if you need it.  What ever. I believe it was 1 1/4” Id that slide right over. 

3 hours ago, drudedon said:

Take pictures of what your working with. The u bolt idea should work, just use a butterfly nut on the outside instead (for adjustments on the fly).

Not my car but it looks just like this:

51Xsp2zZ1rL._SL1000_.jpg.5ec70c24ca2897795be9aaef76289e05.jpg

19 mins ago, The Riddler said:

When I had my Thule bars I made a load assist bar out of fence post out of Home Deport. Slides right over the square bar.  You just need the bars to stick  out about 6” or so.  The bar will tag right on. Make it 3’ long if you need it.  What ever. I believe it was 1 1/4” Id that slide right over. 

Something like that would be ideal. It's not even something I would need all the time, as I only take the canoe once in awhile with my family but it's a bear to load by myself. My wife is tiny and my son is 7 so I end up doing it all. I'll check Home Depot. Thanks!

Well, I folded and bought the Thule Outrigger II. I was at the New England Paddle Sports Show and they had it on sale. It installed in less than a minute and fits my Malone bars perfectly.

5CED7F78-7BB4-4838-BC4E-E8E33F121186.jpeg.6219a2330facaf5515c85363b8cd0a3b.jpegA976332E-F947-4BA4-8BFE-C0E7B874BA05.jpeg.5e9a1ffaa2320379405b40799b372b93.jpeg