Sudsy

Fishing Reports for May 2019

Rate this topic

611 posts in this topic

40 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

facts, happens too much if you ask me. 

no limitations :airquote:

in the past @VS rep at a show told me its my fault.... lol yea so thats why all my penn and tsunami handles are perfectly fine. What a joke.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished Tuesday outback OC on the turn of incoming. Threw small paddle tails, mag darter with nothing. Switched to a single trebble (belly hook) sebile magic swimmer and had my rod double over on the third cast. Had the VR50 on my 8' tidewater peeling drag at a moderate pace. So rather than. Turning the handle with line peeling off I reached to tighten the drag for 1 second and fish came off. Certainly the hardest pull of the year for me. Most likely the biggest of the season. That one hurt. Lesson learned.

Edited by FlounderWetspot

NoMoCo - out front Thursday afternoon, incoming tide . another raw day with the steady SE wind Good l looking water with a nice chop. Slow day Started losing worms and feared the dreaded micro-bass were going to ruin my day Finally hooked one of the little guys, and it was a blowfish. Never caught one out front. Narrowly avoided the skunk with a 23" bass on a worm.

13 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

in the past @VS rep at a show told me its my fault.... lol yea so thats why all my penn and tsunami handles are perfectly fine. What a joke.

Why not use your Penn and Tsunami reels rather than the VS?  

4 mins ago, cartopper said:

Why not use your Penn and Tsunami reels rather than the VS?  

My VS forces me to slow down to the speed i like to fish and i enjoy knowing that i can drop my reel under water when I go to lip my fish.

I fished with a conflict packed with grease and oil for a few years when I was first starting but servicing it every 3 trips or so got old pretty quick as I started to fish more

Technically avoided the skunk last night as hooked a broken line with my mag darter and noticed some tugging as I was wrapping up the line. Ended up being like a 12-15” bluefish that swallowed the hook on wire leader. Cut the wire leader as close as possible and watch it swim away. 

41 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

On a trip in mtk my budy broke one and had the cap break on his back up. I have a zee bass and have issues. I don't think i will ever consider  expensive reels again. I wetsuit with my penn and shimano just fine. The one shimano i found in the ocean and used it for 2 years before i got it serviced. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

On a trip in mtk my budy broke one and had the cap break on his back up. I have a zee bass and have issues. I don't think i will ever consider  expensive reels again. I wetsuit with my penn and shimano just fine. The one shimano i found in the ocean and used it for 2 years before i got it serviced. 

Ive been hearing this alot... I just bought the upgraded machined handle arm and it will be here on monday. I hope it doesnt overpower the gears or cap.

Edited by DragonsLax48

Ocean County this morning from 6-10. Skunked out back, currents were too fast where I was and the water was way too churned from chop. At least a couple of gulls managed to grab a small puffer. Out front wasn’t any better, needed at least 5oz to hold bottom beyond the break, not a single bite on jigs, gulp, or bunker. In between showed one keeper bass for someone other than myself on a sp minnow. I’m beginning to think I just don’t know how to fish for anything other than fluke.

On the troll today, only one bass, more excited to know the the bk Suzuki that I cut to 9’2” can handle the strike of a trolled fish.

FD548DE4-34FB-44B7-8D62-6B78EBFD8631.jpeg

2 hours ago, FlounderWetspot said:

Fished Tuesday outback OC on the turn of incoming. Threw small paddle tails, mag darter with nothing. Switched to a single trebble (belly hook) sebile magic swimmer and had my rod double over on the third cast. Had the VR50 on my 8' tidewater peeling drag at a moderate pace. So rather than. Turning the handle with line peeling off I reached to tighten the drag for 1 second and fish came off. Certainly the hardest pull of the year for me. Most likely the biggest of the season. That one hurt. Lesson learned.

I have had this problem a few times. Two things seem to lessen the likelihood. 

• Put a swivel on the belly treble (canal rigged). 
  • Cup the spool and set the hook hard. Then check the fish is still on good. If so, you should be able to tighten the drag if needed. 

Ocean County in the back, midway through the outgoing tide, some dogs, some skates, some spiders, some horseshoes, and 2 Drum, both released to breed away.................

Drum2.jpg.2cf9b6226db8c28cc8a458c1ea0fc27a.jpg

Drum1.jpg.77c1912f83769bd47cfa1434c973ee16.jpg

Out back in lower OC last night.  Two shorts but there was a ton of birds.  Out front this morning but nothing.  Back to the bay after that and lost one on a Gibbs popper.