spining reels for bigger fish, tarpon, sharks of the beach

Rate this topic

Odessa44

what spinning reel size do u usually use for sharks of the beach? not per say targeting them but for bigger fish 150lb tarpon sharks as well as bigger stripers, and how much line do u feel conferrable with?  what lb test??

Edited by Odessa44

I use a penn torque 5 or an abel super 11/12n, depending on the conditions on a given day. I've got 475yds of 30lb super slick V2 on the torque, and 275yds of 40lb hollow core backing on the abel. My personal best is 74", I've never been spooled.

"Talent does what it can, genius does what it has to"

10 hours ago, Odessa44 said:

what spinning reel size do u usually use for sharks of the beach? not per say targeting them but for bigger fish 150lb tarpon sharks as well as bigger stripers, and how much line do u feel conferrable with?  what lb test??

A Shimano size 10k is a good size, or Daiwa 80, or Quantum 80, or Penn 7500.

I fish sharks here in NJ with a 10k size Saragosa. I have my reel packed with 50lb Super Slick, and it's got 350yds or so of line. I've never landed a big surf shark on it off the beach, only small browns and one dusky about 75lbs. I regularly use the setup offshore for smaller pelagic sharks and tuna.

I would suggest with whatever reel you choose to have 300yds of line. If you are targeting large fish, have enough line to let them run and tire out. 30-65lb braid is fine for most all applications. I only have 50lb on mine because I was comfortable casting it.

With any reel you buy, make sure it has an aluminum frame. Graphite will not last at all, and the reel is guaranteed to fail.

Edited by TopwaterPete

11 hours ago, Local66 said:

I use a penn torque 5 or an abel super 11/12n, depending on the conditions on a given day. I've got 475yds of 30lb super slick V2 on the torque, and 275yds of 40lb hollow core backing on the abel. My personal best is 74", I've never been spooled.

My biggest is mid 50’s. I used a Daiwa BG 90, 30lb mono, and about 75 yards 80lb braid.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:27 PM, fishhappy said:

My biggest is mid 50’s. I used a Daiwa BG 90, 30lb mono, and about 75 yards 80lb braid.

The bg90 is a very tough reel and a bargain moneywise. As far as capacity, I would go with the theory that more is better. I plug with 300 yards on nearly every reel I use and If I could fit more I will. For a bait fishing situation where you have the possibility hook up with large fish a big reel with a ton of line will not hamper you at all over a smaller reel with less line. It seems like a no brainer to me to go big. 

Here in South Florida I only use the big Penn 10500’s for shark fishing off the beach (casting), both the Slammer and SSV. These reels hold a ton of line and you WILL need it lol. Think I got about 800yds 65lb on them. Have caught hammers and tigers to 10 feet on both reels....and that’s with a LOT of luck and experience. For the most, these reels handle quite well most all other sharks 150lb range. Gets them in quickly for safe release. With any shark fishing, good to have a “go big or go home” mindset, especially here in S. Florida. Lotta big girls come in very close and having the appropriate gear is paramont (if you’re targeting them). I also use the same reels in the Keys off the bridges and have landed some big, big fish. 

For tossing plugs at sharks, I only use the larger Stella’s. 

8 hours ago, zcoker said:

Here in South Florida I only use the big Penn 10500’s for shark fishing off the beach (casting), both the Slammer and SSV. These reels hold a ton of line and you WILL need it lol. Think I got about 800yds 65lb on them. Have caught hammers and tigers to 10 feet on both reels....and that’s with a LOT of luck and experience. For the most, these reels handle quite well most all other sharks 150lb range. Gets them in quickly for safe release. With any shark fishing, good to have a “go big or go home” mindset, especially here in S. Florida. Lotta big girls come in very close and having the appropriate gear is paramont (if you’re targeting them). I also use the same reels in the Keys off the bridges and have landed some big, big fish. 

For tossing plugs at sharks, I only use the larger Stella’s. 

I was able to get 1000yds of 65lb braid on my Slammer 10500, with plenty of room for heavy mono top shot.

Just needed to second it on how much line those things will inhale.

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I was able to get 1000yds of 65lb braid on my Slammer 10500, with plenty of room for heavy mono top shot.

Just needed to second it on how much line those things will inhale.

Do you think that's necessary, or do you think the 9500 is OK? I bought a Saltist 8000 which holds 730yds of 50lb braid. Was going to put 400yds of 80lb for tarpon near bridges, and use the 700yds 50lb for sharks from shore. 

What do you think?

2 hours ago, DutchGFX said:

Do you think that's necessary, or do you think the 9500 is OK? I bought a Saltist 8000 which holds 730yds of 50lb braid. Was going to put 400yds of 80lb for tarpon near bridges, and use the 700yds 50lb for sharks from shore. 

What do you think?

I am going to defer to zcoker on this matter if you want a concrete answer. Just remember that you might plan on catching sharks up to 150bs, but you may end up hooking something much much bigger. The larger sharks will dump line off a reel set to 35lbs of drag like it is nothing.

I will say that in my opinion based on my experiances the Slammer 8500lll has been my best all purpose big game reel for just casting. It has more drag then you will ever use and if you spool it right, 700yds of 65lb braid is possible. The reel is not ungainly to use either which makes it a good all around option.