Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FIN-S

Live lining Spots

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Talked to a local friend of mine about local fishing. He told me to live line spots which you can catch in the bay and live line them in the canal for Bass.... Wondering what they look like?

Spots are also known as Lafayettes. They are fall striper candy and one of the hardiest live baits for bass you will ever find. They hold up well in a pen and can be fed. I have tried a few locations in NJ for them this year and have yet to catch one. Their abundance is very cyclical in NJ and it is my opinion there are not a lot up here this year.

If you are catching good numbers please tell me cause I just bought my first 100 last night

I don't know about spot being one of the hardiest live bait to use. Compared with white perch and eel - no! Compared with menhaden - yes!

I am talking about keeping them alive in five gallon bucket where spot will die shortly. As for pen, livewell in boat - that is another matter. I use a bait bucket to keep the spot alive a reasonable long time if I am fishing off the pier. It is not practical for me to use the bait bucket fishing off the beach because if I put the bucket in the water, it will float back to the shore. I guess I could put on the waders, wade out a few feet, drive a stake, and install a pulley system so I can rein in the bait bucket for bait and pull it back out to the stake.

If you are catching good numbers please tell me cause I just bought my first 100 last night

icon25.gif Great googlie mooglie!

Spot sell for 1.50 - 1.75 a piece IF you can find em. They're plentiful right now if you know where to look and either fish for em or bait em in to castnet.

Spots are undoubtably one of the tastiest lil fish that you can eat. Dress em out, batter em up with some House Autry Seafood breader and fry for about 4 to 6 minutes. Add some coleslaw, hush puppies and ice tea and you have a meal anyone will enjoy.

When they are in down here, the piers will be lined shoulder to shoulder 2 and 3 deep filling up coolers. They freeze and keep very well.

They also make great drum bait.

Fish Wish, wish that was the case in NJ. They sell for about $3.00 each right now unless you know a supplier buy in quantity. Most places in NJ that sell them have them brought up from Virginia or there about.

Nuke, some B&T shops in Barnegat Light sell them. If you are looking to buy 50 or more at a time there are some other ways to buy them wink.gif