Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 1 - May 15

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Draggers explains some of that gloppy weed out front. :banghd:

Been getting em on same plugs as u (except the danny). Along with usual jiggy stuff. Some visible surface action and catches last night. Some bigger legal ones starting to follow lures but not take yet. Soon, soon.

Slow fishing for tog this morning but conditions were great. Only saw two boats out near sakonnet point. Managed to keep two 18"s for dinner tomorrow night.

22 hours ago, cj7fisherman said:

Slow fishing for tog this morning but conditions were great. Only saw two boats out near sakonnet point. Managed to keep two 18"s for dinner tomorrow night.

Was the jetty mobbed? I was at another place saturday with a little bit of rain, but the area was mobbed elbow to elbow..... 

On the other hand, fishing was great. EPO stopped by mid-morning to check shorts..... he has a good eye too!

32 mins ago, foxfai said:

Was the jetty mobbed? I was at another place saturday with a little bit of rain, but the area was mobbed elbow to elbow..... 

On the other hand, fishing was great. EPO stopped by mid-morning to check shorts..... he has a good eye too!

I didn't look when I left the ramp but when I came back in I didn't see anyone. That big net is back this year off the jetty too.

Went out on the kayak to avoid the crowds this weekend. Had big tog and rocks all alone. Think we had 10 each with half or so legal. All were very fat and aggressive.

They grow too slowly for me to keep so back they went.

54 mins ago, cj7fisherman said:

I didn't look when I left the ramp but when I came back in I didn't see anyone. That big net is back this year off the jetty too.

What's the deal with the stupid net anyways? I was there last year and basically pushed everyone to the end of the jetty, fishing sucked too.... 

3 hours ago, foxfai said:

I wished the Game Warden would stop by my place.  Poacher need to have "heat-check" from undersized fish to over the creel limit. I'm sad for the spring-fishery. These folk are well ware of the law but get triggered when confronted. I almost got in a fight over this topic this morning but of course I was out-numbered. So I straight up try to deescalate the situation. Still, stand your ground if you see something -say something. 

9 hours ago, foxfai said:

What's the deal with the stupid net anyways? I was there last year and basically pushed everyone to the end of the jetty, fishing sucked too.... 

Theyre commercial set nets. RI allows a fixed net fishery for those who have legal permits to do so. 

13 hours ago, foxfai said:

Not sure where you're talking about but RI allows fish traps, which are basically big nets. You can get a map of the locations, which are always close to shore, from DEM.

I went   fri , Sat , Sun evening on real short trips  in the upper bay. from shore ,

the boat has been in a month  & I havn,t bothered thaking from the slip .

all three evening I caught real dinks ….don,t think any went past 13" 

made a couple of cast w/ poppers .  But went with a pearl storm shad

when they slowed down I switched to a small leadhead  w/ a  white plastic worm .

a little surprise none had lice & none looked real new ,yet they had to be 1st year fish .

had bigger fish last week  up Striper crazy,s way ;

quite a few tautog coming into the docks  from boat guys ><

11 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Not sure where you're talking about but RI allows fish traps, which are basically big nets. You can get a map of the locations, which are always close to shore, from DEM.

Fish Trap.jpg

Apparently the push of some stripers has started in the upper bay. Last year we had some very small bass. This year they got a little bigger. Most of the schoolies we caught were in the 18 - 20 inch range, with a few near 26 inches all caught on flies. All toll, 30 stripers were caught in a few hours span from 7:30 to 10:30am all in open water. Some small silverside around, plenty go bird help to find these. They be up and down quickly, move off quickly, but the action was steady. 

IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG