Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 1 - May 15

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity that could benefit those you use the RI forum.

The purpose is to blend together all reports in a portal so they are easy to access into one file for ease of viewing. 

Since it's the beginning of the season and a few reports trickle in, we will run this edition two weeks. As fishing becomes more productive and more of us fish, the blog will resort to a weekly forum again. This is the second year trying this approach. I think last year had great participation. 

Now it's up to you. Grab that fishing pole, put down that beer, and start your engines.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for posting. Nice catch.

How long did you fish?

Was it dawn or dusk?

Split trip, some shore, some kayak?

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Posted (edited) · Report post

This time of year I’m fishing when ever I can( when there’s water ) only a couple spots at low tide . Fishing has been good and early were getting hits/ fish every day look for current comming into upper bay

Edited by stripercrazy

Taug Guys, How are you getting your green crabs? Are they under rocks yet? I haven't found any on the shore but caught a few off the docks in a trap with a salmon head on an incoming tide. Sorry Im 100% noob at tautog fishing and anything that comes with it.

5 hours ago, MattCasts401 said:

Taug Guys, How are you getting your green crabs? Are they under rocks yet? I haven't found any on the shore but caught a few off the docks in a trap with a salmon head on an incoming tide. Sorry Im 100% noob at tautog fishing and anything that comes with it.

They have been under the rocks for weeks. A few hours after high is the trick. 

Had schoolies hitting a 1oz black/blue bucktail with a gulp glow minnow off of a wall on an incoming tide. Landed 10, size ranged from 10-20in at 5-7pm. They seemed to hit hardest on the fall of the bucktail. Lots of bait in the area. They were jumping quite a bit.

On 5/1/2019 at 0:52 PM, MattCasts401 said:

I paid $4.00 at the bait shop. Didn't have enough time to find them myself last week.

1 hour ago, cj7fisherman said:

I paid $4.00 at the bait shop. Didn't have enough time to find them myself last week.

Each, a dozen, a gross, a bushel?

Super weedy and pretty windy out there today. Got a couple fish in different spots but couldn’t find any concentration. The few close to keeper size fish caught were hitting larger herring looking stuff.

Picked up some fish out front last week before this easterly blow started.  A few on plastics then switched to a spook and got another, then one on a 4 1/2" mag darter in bronze then one on a small white danny.  Was a good morning!  All 20-25" range pale fish.  No lice.  Saw gannets diving 100 yards offshore.  Also saw a dragger working charlestown ledge so I spoke with my buddy who is a fisherman and he confirmed that there's squid showing up there pretty good.