Drew C.

Asmfc meeting 4/30

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

32 mins ago, reel gambler said:

Was listening to talk radio today and sure enough they started talking about bass. A regurgitated press release but on the radio nonetheless in RI today

It's a big deal to a lot of people, probably the biggest controversy in fisheries management in quite a while. FWIW, RI voted with the majority on all of the portions passed at the meeting.

1 hour ago, Vaporizor said:

Maco, is Dave Preble still active around there?

No, I don't know what Dave is doing these days, I have't talked to him in a while. He isn't on the NEFMC anymore.

15 hours ago, MakoMike said:

He was just appointed to MAFAC!

Who did he replace?  I haven't been following the terms of the NJ reps, and you posed an interesting question the other day.

To summarize what I’ve read here is that the striped bass are in trouble but we aren’t going to do anything about it until possibly next year. So we’ll let millions more bass die this year and then try to start rebuilding next year with even less fish. Brilliant!!

We need to learn from how Florida manages their fisheries. When they have a problem (red tide recently) they immediately go to catch and release. They don’t waste years of time meeting and fighting about it. 

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

Who did he replace?  I haven't been following the terms of the NJ reps, and you posed an interesting question the other day.

Charles, I don't know. But notice I said MAFAC NOT MAFMC.

11 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Charles, I don't know. But notice I said MAFAC NOT MAFMC.

I did not notice that--my eyes read it as MAFMC.

Having said that, I think that it is now very likely that the person who I heard the rumor from made the same mistake that I just did,

29 mins ago, z-man said:

To summarize what I’ve read here is that the striped bass are in trouble but we aren’t going to do anything about it until possibly next year. So we’ll let millions more bass die this year and then try to start rebuilding next year with even less fish. Brilliant!!

We need to learn from how Florida manages their fisheries. When they have a problem (red tide recently) they immediately go to catch and release. They don’t waste years of time meeting and fighting about it. 

Not quite right.

We're going to hopefully reduce fishing mortality "next year with even less fish."

No guarantee right now that rebuilding will also start.

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

Not quite right.

We're going to hopefully reduce fishing mortality "next year with even less fish."

No guarantee right now that rebuilding will also start.

A couple years ago the New England states changed the recreational regs from 2 fish at 28” to 1 fish at 28”. Did that have any noticeable impact on the bass stocks?  It seems like it should have had a big impact but doesn’t sound like it worked at all. Will slightly changing the regs again (35” min size) even make a difference? Were there any discussions about this at the meeting?  Are there other factors causing problems other than fisherman such as the huge amount of seals in MA?

27 mins ago, z-man said:

A couple years ago the New England states changed the recreational regs from 2 fish at 28” to 1 fish at 28”. Did that have any noticeable impact on the bass stocks?  It seems like it should have had a big impact but doesn’t sound like it worked at all. Will slightly changing the regs again (35” min size) even make a difference? Were there any discussions about this at the meeting?  Are there other factors causing problems other than fisherman such as the huge amount of seals in MA?

Sort of.

That cut was a response to Addendum IV, which required the coast to cut landings by 25%, compared to 2013, and the Chesapeake to cut by 20.5%, compared to 2012.

Both groups of commercial fishermen met their required cuts.  The coastal recreational fishermen actually cut by more than 25%.  But the anglers in Chesapeake Bay didn't cut at all, and actually increased their landings to about 150% of 2012.  And a lot of that increase was release mortality on undersized fish from the big 2011 year class that we were, at the time, depending on to rebuild the stock.

Since we're dealing with ASMFC, the Chesapeake anglers were not held accountable, kept overfishing, and any 2020 cuts will be made from their current landings, not from where they should have been in 2015, so crime does pay.

In 2015, overall landings--recreational and commercial, coast and Bay--averaged out as a little more than a 25% reduction from the benchmark figure.  But in 2016 and 2017, largely due to the number of small fish in the Bay, landings went up to pre-Addendum IV numbers.  About half of the recreational kill dies in Maryland waters.

In 2018, landings dropped again, to mid-1990s level, largely due to less angler effort--which, if I guessed, was probably due to a lack of fish..

So yes, the 2015 cuts worked on the coast, but because no one required Maryland to comply with the Addendum, over all, they were not too effective.

They need to cutoff the breeding grounds. Im in nj and the boats literally cut a huge pod of bass off on the way up the river and pounded them for days.  

We need to protect where they spawn