Asmfc meeting 4/30

Rate this topic

Fergal

18 mins ago, MakoMike said:

That's true regardless of what the selected F value is. As one of the board members said to me recently; "all we can do is set the table it's up to mother nature as to when we get the bumper year classes."

When the TC tries to predict rebuilding it's all a crapshoot depending on what year classes they predict.

They can still base rebuilding measures on average year classes, and adjust midstream.  The problem is that they do try to bet on the big year classes, instead of basing a rebuilding plan on average, or a bit below, recruitment, and then end up rebuilding early if a bigger year class gave them a break, or tightening measures if, 3 or 5 years in, recruitment is unusually low..

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

1 min ago, CWitek said:

They can still base rebuilding measures on average year classes, and adjust midstream.  The problem is that they do try to bet on the big year classes, instead of basing a rebuilding plan on average, or a bit below, recruitment, and then end up rebuilding early if a bigger year class gave them a break, or tightening measures if, 3 or 5 years in, recruitment is unusually low..

Yes they can, my point was that no matter when they say the stock will be rebuilt its a crapshoot as to whether or not it actually happens when they predict. 

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

4 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Fote is a menace to all fisheries. 

And I'm hearing fairly reliable rumors that he's about to take his influence to the next level, and end up getting appointed to the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council, where he will undoubtedly spend his time telling the SSC that he's been around since the 1980s, so he knows that their science is wrong...

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Just now, MakoMike said:

Yes they can, my point was that no matter when they say the stock will be rebuilt its a crapshoot as to whether or not it actually happens when they predict. 

I'd argue that the odds are a little better than a "crapshoot," but agree that the further out you go, the more the uncertainty grows, particularly when dealing with a fish like bass, where recruitment tends to swing widely from year to ydar.

2 mins ago, CWitek said:

And I'm hearing fairly reliable rumors that he's about to take his influence to the next level, and end up getting appointed to the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council, where he will undoubtedly spend his time telling the SSC that he's been around since the 1980s, so he knows that their science is wrong...

I’m sure he will. I’m not entirely sure how he even got to where he is today with this. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

19 mins ago, DerrickT said:

The press release...

Screenshot_20190501-162350_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20190501-162403_Drive.jpg

I love the way that this release is worded.  Sort of "yes, the stock is overfished and subject to overfishing, but don't worry, it was worse during the collapse of the '80s."

1 min ago, CWitek said:

Curious as to who these rumors say he is going to replace? Adam's term doesn't expire fr two more years.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

3 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I’m sure he will. I’m not entirely sure how he even got to where he is today with this. 

He hasn't held a job since he got out of the service in the mid-'70s--he was an infantry officer, was wounded in Viet Nam, and received a disability retirement--so he's just had a seat at the table ever since.

If you keep showing up, someone gives you a job.

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

Curious as to who these rumors say he is going to replace? Adam's term doesn't expire fr two more years.

Didn't hear that part.  But given my source, I'd give the rumor at least as good odds as ASMFC is giving its striped bass fishing mortality reduction.

9 mins ago, CWitek said:

He hasn't held a job since he got out of the service in the mid-'70s--he was an infantry officer, was wounded in Viet Nam, and received a disability retirement--so he's just had a seat at the table ever since.

If you keep showing up, someone gives you a job.

I know that part of his history. I was a member of a NJ club that Tom was (is still?). He spoke often about fishery issues then. He might have been the clubs conservation guy, don’t remember. 

Back then I was a knuckle dragging, mouth breathing Neanderthal NJ angler that was more concerned with what I could keep than I was about the health of any resource. I was in agreement with him (as were/are others) on the various issues. Thankfully, I learned a little since this times but others are still dinosaurs. 

As i said, he’s a menace to healthy resources. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

The proposal I saw this week to hit the target was increasing the minimum size in the Chesapeake Bay a little and all other areas would go to 35".  Someone brought up the use of a slot and the discards related to slot fish offset the benefits.

"A successful man is one who can lay a strong foundation with the bricks thrown at him."- David Brinkley