dbjpb

Top 10 reasons why kayakers get in trouble

27 posts in this topic

1) Conditions beyond my skill level.       2)  Not dressed for immersion.               3)  No pfd.                                              4)  Inability to self rescue.                          5)  Wake from power boat swamps you. 6)  Your kayak starts to take on water.   7) The inability to call for help.                8) Turned around to access your crate.   9) Your seat was elevated   and  your         kayak has no secondary stability.                                           10) You had a medical emergency.            Most of the time we never find out what happens when a kayaker gets into trouble. Be safe my friends . No fish is worth a life.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1) purchased  a platform that is not suitable for unfavorable conditions. 

2) Paddle clothing not appropriate for water and air temp. 

3) Failure to practice a self rescue 

4) Fishing a new area at night 

5) Failure to use an approved kayak light at night and low light conditions. 

6) Failure to use a visible flag 

7) No radio or communications device other than cell phone. 

8) Failure to wear an approved flotation device.

9) Fishing too far from shore. 

10) No Emergency Plan: Ditch Bag, float plan, dry clothing in vehicle, hydration, dry bag for radio and phone.

Edited by The Riddler

10 hours ago, dbjpb said:

1) Conditions beyond my skill level.       2)  Not dressed for immersion.               3)  No pfd.                                              4)  Inability to self rescue.                          5)  Wake from power boat swamps you. 6)  Your kayak starts to take on water.   7) The inability to call for help.                8) Turned around to access your crate.   9) Your seat was elevated   and  your         kayak has no secondary stability.                                           10) You had a medical emergency.            Most of the time we never find out what happens when a kayaker gets into trouble. Be safe my friends . No fish is worth a life.

"turned around to access your crate"

yeah that's an interesting one.  I have scared myself a couple times but figured it was just because I was a newbie.  This is really concerning because the tankwell area is the only place to carry significant gear like Plano boxes.

2 mins ago, blackdogfish said:

yeah that's an interesting one.  I have scared myself a couple times but figured it was just because I was a newbie.  This is really concerning because the tankwell area is the only place to carry significant gear like Plano boxes.

I had some balance issues too a few years back reaching back there, never tipped but came close. That's why I don't do a create anymore for gear all my gear is stored up front and it makes me travel lighter too. I'll use the back for storing my cooler or if I'm bringing more rods I'll bring it but not for gear anymore.

That's where I like the OK Trident 13.  the storage system in the cockpit is awesome.  My WS pretty much forces me to put my gear in the back.

1 hour ago, blackdogfish said:

I always grab the side handle of the kayak with one hand when twisting to reach something in the back.  

I'm new to ocean kayak fishing (rough conditions ). Has anyone ever gotten tangled in leashes when going over? Do you carry a dive knife strapped to your leg just in case?

Leg, chest or even a neck knife, good to have! No leashes here, I fear snagging the bottom with heavy braid in current.

44B710FA-0AA8-4633-BAE1-AF1447C9F598.png

1 hour ago, cheech said:

Leg, chest or even a neck knife, good to have! No leashes here, I fear snagging the bottom with heavy braid in current.

44B710FA-0AA8-4633-BAE1-AF1447C9F598.png

What knife is that? 

1 hour ago, cheech said:

I fear snagging the bottom with heavy braid in current.

Me too, it is like an instant anchor. Heaviest I'll go these days is 30lb but I'm fishing 15 and 20 a lot more these days.

5 hours ago, BillZ said:

Just go side saddle to reach the stuff in the tankwell......

When you're fat like me, that's the only way to get anything out of the back.

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, The Riddler said:

1) purchased  a platform that is not suitable for unfavorable conditions. 

2) Paddle clothing not appropriate for water and air temp. 

3) Failure to practice a self rescue 

4) Fishing a new area at night 

5) Failure to use an approved kayak light at night and low light conditions. 

6) Failure to use a visible flag 

7) No radio or communications device other than cell phone. 

8) Failure to wear an approved flotation device.

9) Fishing too far from shore. 

10) No Emergency Plan: Ditch Bag, float plan, dry clothing in vehicle, hydration, dry bag for radio and phone.

This covers the topic very well.

Edited by tj7501