fatbikerjoe

Melnyk, where is he now?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Just finished reading Paul Melnyk's book, "Montauk Confidential".  I really enjoyed the first hand account of Montauk life, the surf fishing rivalry, the controversies, etc.  I'm just curious if he is still around.  Someone told me he moved out west and rides motorcycles for fun.  The book was fun, my family has been camping at Hither Hills for over 35 years.  I'd love to live out there but the cost of property is ridiculous and the traffic and access to get out there even worse.  I can't believe all these Citiots pass the Hamptons to go to Montauk.  I got the book on inter-library loan.  I'm returning it now so if anyone else wants to read it....

9 hours ago, TBD said:

Citiots ????

Yes, the sloppy tuna brigade.  The people that caused so much of a disturbance that the town had to change ordinance rules and crack down on the public urination, fighting, and littering.  Here's a great example. Leave it at the Boardy Barn, don't bring it to Montauk.

3 hours ago, fatbikerjoe said:

Yes, the sloppy tuna brigade.  The people that caused so much of a disturbance that the town had to change ordinance rules and crack down on the public urination, fighting, and littering.  Here's a great example. Leave it at the Boardy Barn, don't bring it to Montauk.

People have been partying in Montauk for generations - loud drunken idiots are nothing new.  Geezer locals and "citiot'  2nd home owners have turned the place into nursery school.

True but this stupid show made things much worse.  Kudos to the town for stepping up enforcement.  Maybe Montauk will become uncool and all these idiots will go back to Fire Island and CJ's for Rocket fuel.

1 hour ago, fatbikerjoe said:

True but this stupid show made things much worse.  Kudos to the town for stepping up enforcement.  Maybe Montauk will become uncool and all these idiots will go back to Fire Island and CJ's for Rocket fuel.

The show had nothing to do with it...The house isn't evn in Montauk - it's in Amagansett and the problems started several years before the show.  Maybe you are just getting old?

20 mins ago, Cpalms said:

The show had nothing to do with it...The house isn't evn in Montauk - it's in Amagansett and the problems started several years before the show.  Maybe you are just getting old?

The house originally was in Napague.  There have always been problems but it seems to have amplified after the show.  I am getting old because at one time I too was full of piss and vinegar and chasing snapper (not the fish) and now I'm complaining about these kids.  Anyway, it ties into the book because there are some stories regarding city folks and their experiences under the light.  It's funny, really a great read.  I guess it's been going on for a long time.  

4 mins ago, fatbikerjoe said:

The house originally was in Napague.  There have always been problems but it seems to have amplified after the show.  I am getting old because at one time I too was full of piss and vinegar and chasing snapper (not the fish) and now I'm complaining about these kids.  Anyway, it ties into the book because there are some stories regarding city folks and their experiences under the light.  It's funny, really a great read.  I guess it's been going on for a long time.  

Hard to find anyplace on earth that is better for chasing snapper than montauk in the summer. 

Brings lots of memories.

Back in 80's, last train from Jamaica, i think it was around 10PM, with few 6packs in the bag and towel.

And then first train back (or any other, lol) after all night parting on the beach.

Lots of girls, naked swimming, and few other stuff.

Damn

80's were great.

The current crop of CITIOTS and UTI baboons that have invaded Montauk in recent years are pretty much useless pieces of detritus , do they act like ****s where they live too or do they save it up for when they go east?

5 hours ago, pakalolo said:

The current crop of CITIOTS and UTI baboons that have invaded Montauk in recent years are pretty much useless pieces of detritus , do they act like ****s where they live too or do they save it up for when they go east?

Gotta ask, what is a UTI baboon?  Do I really want to know?

1 hour ago, fatbikerjoe said:

Gotta ask, what is a UTI baboon?  Do I really want to know?

I would guess that he is referring to CITIOTS as being from the city and UTI baboons are from Up The Island?  :shrug:

24 mins ago, MattituckMike said:

I would guess that he is referring to CITIOTS as being from the city and UTI baboons are from Up The Island?  :shrug:

Ah, I was thinking Urinary Tract Infection but your explanation makes better sense.

15 hours ago, pakalolo said:

So says the guy that lives 40 miles away and never fishes let alone spends time in montauk.