Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Menegaux

Penn 16VSX drag problem

2 posts in this topic

Hoping this is in the right spot.

I'm a landlocked Western New Yorker who fishes a couple of weeks a year in the Bahamas. I have a 16 VSX and after catching a Mahi Mahi, I went to send the lines back out and the drag on my reel will not release, it's pinned at 1 (above the strike setting).

I've had the reel for a few years so I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty.  I store it in free spool and rinse it well after every use. 

My question is can this be fixed?  I can't imagine it will cost more than buying a new reel but maybe this is indicative of something much worse internally? 

I've seen mixed reviews on the responsiveness of Penn's customer care and got pointed to this forum.

Any information would be appreciated. 

Your cam area may have corrosion/salt buildup and may need to be cleaned/re-greased.  You can send the reel in to PENN and we will get it back up and running as it should.  If you require an estimate just note that when sending it in, but you should expect at least $75 (labor + diagnostic + return shipping) before any replacement parts.  I am also curious about mixed reviews you are seeing, we take pride in our Customer Service and are always trying to improve.  Were the reviews recent (within the past year or two)?

tony