oceanAddict

Transducer placement question

9 posts in this topic

I have a large t-ducer that won't fit into the niche at the bottom of my Predator PDL and last year I used Scotty arm mount over the side, it was OK but not 100 optimal. Apparently, Predator has a mount point just below the rudder. I little bit hesitant to use this as I would have to: A. drill kayak for wiring. B. cut out a piece of the rudder - the transducer is really long. So here is the question: does the bow mounting has such benefits that overweight A and B? I think drilling would void the warranty? And would be proximity to the rudder is going to screw reading?

Thx 

Does your transducer use side scan? If not try mounting in the hull with duct seal. If you have side scan it it must be in the water, Rudder ay not be a bad  place to mount.

OK, I decided to try it out. Before making it permanent, I want to run the transducer cable outside. Does anyone have a suggestion for sticky mounts suitable for it?

41 mins ago, oceanAddict said:

OK, I decided to try it out. Before making it permanent, I want to run the transducer cable outside. Does anyone have a suggestion for sticky mounts suitable for it?

Gorrila duct tape

Also- why cant you run the cable up thru a scupper hole?  Don't drill the hull below the waterline!

Hobie has a through hull wiring kit you can use to pass wires through the hull,  would try mounting the transducer on the rudder and zip tie the cable to the deck to make sure it works before drilling. Good luck.

10 hours ago, dbjpb said:

try mounting the transducer on the rudder and zip tie the cable to the deck to make sure it works before drilling. Good luck.

just to add to this;

if you mount it directly to the rudder the side scan will be looking all over the place when you move the rudder from side to side not just left & right..... needs to be stationary like on the rudder bracket instead...

As I said in my original post I have a Predator PDL and it has mounting point on transom just below rudder mount. Here is what I try to accomplish - found the video of another yaker who did it.

My only issue that my transducer is very long. And actually, the plug on cable doesn't fit through the vent hole lol. I still want to try it. Going to make an extension piece and move the rudder mount slightly so it would let me accommodate the transducer.