MacCTD

Northshore charter without the boat

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Probably a long shot but looking for someone with local knowledge for Salem Harbor, Ipswich bay area to go out with me on my boat and show me what to look for structure and technique. I have a 19' boat on a trailer and can laugh from anywhere and will pay for everything . I grew up in the area and used to fish Ipswich river and Fox creek as a kid 40 years ago. 

First things first - find the macs. Misery channel is a good place to start. Next most of the game up there is fish the rocks. Lures or macs. Sometime an east wind will blow bait off of Stellwagen and bite will move offshore. You can sight fish most mornings for schoolie or find off shore pogie schools.    Check out nahant bay and broad sound too!

Give the new guy a break, he's trying to do the right thing. No one in the area wants a free boat ride/fishing trip?

22 hours ago, TomFisher said:

First things first - find the macs. Misery channel is a good place to start. Next most of the game up there is fish the rocks. Lures or macs. Sometime an east wind will blow bait off of Stellwagen and bite will move offshore. You can sight fish most mornings for schoolie or find off shore pogie schools.    Check out nahant bay and broad sound too!

Thanks for the info, I have fished out by Misery a number of times and also at the entrance to Manchester harbor, both areas look real fishy but have not had any luck, I have also fished the Annisquam river a number of times and caught a few small fish. I think I am missing something on either reading structure and where to fish or technique. Thanks again.

MacCTD - Misery is a good place for catching bait, as is half way rock, as is bass rocks, shag rocks etc. These places can also hold Bass but I would move around a little bit . Last year much of the early season bait and bass were deep out by Saturday night ledge down to BG Buoy. It was crazy if you floated a mac in the middle of nowhere it would get clobbered. The year before that I had a ton of luck in Nahant bay and along the rocks in Beverly. The year before that it was all up in Magnolia in Manchester...Last year one of the best bites was on pogies but the trick was you had to be out early and move school to school until you found bass under them. Some days it happened quick and then turned off, other days I would burn lots of gas for just a few monster bass. Literally there are bass all along there....not trying to be a jerk....I will take you on my boat and some days we find them, some days we don't. Also try thinking beyond just areas and think about tides, wind, moon and time of day. Move until you catch.

I know that there are charter captains out there that do this sort of thing.   I think the captain of Riptide offers a service LIKE this.    I don't know that they'll show you all the SPOTS but I'd google around for charters in the area your looking for and see if there are any of them who offer this sort of service.

Hop online and look at the Navionics sonar charts and you will see exactly what you want to see.  Areas where there is structure, drop offs, rockpiles, channels, flats, etc, etc.  Study the charts ... you don't need a guide.  

Went out today, wanted to fish some of the rocks between the Danvers river and entrance to Manchester harbor but it was too windy, ended up doing some trolling, caught 4 small stipers, good first day. 

Went out yesterday, 7/9, pretty nice weather, very calm in Salem Harbor, fished the rocks around the outside of Manchester harbor and trolled some coming back in, got 1 hit that was about it. Those rocks out by the red cans are looked to be a great spot, but no luck, was casting Rapalas. 

Was about to tell you follow me this weekend but noticed how old this thread is. In any case it is a big area so there is always some trial and error needed and yes, lots of great looking spots. Dialing them in is half the fun. 

If I head down this weekend I'll message you but any spots I show you cannot be discussed on here in the open - ever. In fact, you may need to drive your boat blind folded with your gps turned off for 2-3 miles. OK? ha ha.  More info? I frequently launch at a ramp on the No. Shore and fish in the saltwater. :) 

There will likely be 2-3 other boats too so the intel and communications helps when there is a fleet to consult with. Like I said, I'll send you a pm tomorrow once my plans firm up.