2019 Hobie Outback

I’m thinking of getting a 2019 Outback.  I’ve been currently fishing out of a Revo 13. I fish large bays and surf  launch.  I just wanted to get some pros and cons. I’ve heard good and bad about this yak.  I would like to hear from people that actually fish out of them then hearing it secondhand. Thanks for your help. 

8 mins ago, ccb said:

I should think Riddler would have some good info? 

He’s in a  Revo  13 and looking to head into an Outback for his own reasons. Instead I would like to hear why he wants to leave the Revo 13 for a kayak that is wider, heavier, slower, and difficult to make a self rescue on open water. Harder to surf launch and not the best choice on open bays with chop. 

Edited by The Riddler

I was thinking about  stability. As I’m getting older I thought it may be better to be in a more stable Kayak.  My Revo is a 2015. Prior to that I was in a native manarray 14.  But if you guys think I should be better off in the refi I will stay. I don’t have any experience in the outback.  The sales people all they talk about is what a great fishing kayak it is. 

I love my Outback 2019 so far.   I’ve been launching from bay spots without a problem.   One time the bay was quite choppy but it felt stable enough that I didn’t feel unsafe or concerned I was going to capsize.  But it is definitely wetter than the old design.   Besides the fact it’s a pure fishing machine, it paddles and tracks so much better than the old design so it’ll work in rivers and shallow ponds or lakes without the drive.   

Edited by GeoffT

30 mins ago, Steve_M said:

Thank you for your response 

If you find the Revo 13 unstable for fishing after being in It since 2015? Get out of it and go to the Outback.  The Outback will never outperform the Revo 13 on open water. Maybe you want to stand now or maybe you want to carry more gear? Only you know those answers. Because that’s what the Outback has on the Revo.  It’s heavier, it’s high volume and it’s certainly harder to car top and harder to get back into a n the event you roll over. We saw that again this morning with another angler in an Outback in unfavorable conditions and he got rescued by a boat. Probably saved his life. Even in the fanciest dry suit available it is hard to self rescue wide and heavy kayaks.  Regardless of platform, if you can’t self rescue you shouldn’t be on open water. 

12 mins ago, GeoffT said:

I love my Outback 2019 so far.   I’ve been launching from bay spots without a problem.   One time the bay was quite choppy but it felt stable enough that I didn’t feel unsafe or concerned I was going to capsize.  But it is definitely wetter than the old design.   Besides the fact it’s a pure fishing machine, it paddles and tracks so much better than the old design so it’ll work in rivers and shallow ponds or lakes without the drive.   

Have you tipped that Outback over yet in cold water and tried to get back into it? You can call it a pure fishing machine but if you are out in unfavorable conditions it’s really not that great of a platform if you can’t get back into it. 

I had a 2018 outback. Liked it with some reservations. Put in hundreds of hours. I traded up for a 2019. love it. It’s far more stable, I can stand easily. It paddles a lot better fwiw. The sotorage and deck arrangement are far far better for me.

I don’t find it much more nimble, I was expecting it to be but it’s around the same as the 2018, and not much faster though I did have turbo fins in my 2018. Seems a little more stealthy going forward, still noisy going backwards.

I have yet to take it out in the salt. The 2018 was fine if a little cumbersome launching through the shore break. So far it’s been too rough for me to go out in the 2019 so I’ve been using it in the Indian River lagoon which can get a bit iffy under some conditions. Haven’t felt insecure at all, I’m out 3-5 days a week 4-8 hours at a time.

I've never had a Revo but two different Outbacks. The 2019 is a whole lot better then my old 2014 for sure. It is extremely stable as well. The amount of accessories and modifications you can use/do to it is impressive. It also tracks a whole lot better then my old Outback and is faster. It definetly takes some water over the bow and is a wetter ride but oh well, it's kayak fishing. I was in RB this last week in rougher conditions occasionally taking water over the bow (without the front hatch seal installed) and the hull was nearly completely dry after 6+ hours.

Once the water warms up a little more, I am definetly doing some self rescue drills just to get better used to doing it. I don't do many ocean launches (last year i didn't do any) and I only do big bodies of water in the spring so the boat kinda fits my needs well. I still have the 2014 Outback and have been starting to consider attempting to trade if for a revo because I've read its really good for ocean launches which I'd like to do more. I'm not a master kayaker by any means but have been doing it for a number of years.... just my 2 cents on the boat.

13 hours ago, The Riddler said:

If you find the Revo 13 unstable for fishing after being in It since 2015? Get out of it and go to the Outback.  The Outback will never outperform the Revo 13 on open water. Maybe you want to stand now or maybe you want to carry more gear? Only you know those answers. Because that’s what the Outback has on the Revo.  It’s heavier, it’s high volume and it’s certainly harder to car top and harder to get back into a n the event you roll over. We saw that again this morning with another angler in an Outback in unfavorable conditions and he got rescued by a boat. Probably saved his life. Even in the fanciest dry suit available it is hard to self rescue wide and heavy kayaks.  Regardless of platform, if you can’t self rescue you shouldn’t be on open water. 

I was out where 2 rivers meets the bay during a blitz. The tide was starting to run hard. My  Stern got caught in a rip with a big fish on my line. The wind started to pick up. So with the conditions started to become unfavorable. For that one moment I almost went over. It wasn’t a good feeling. I didn’t know if the Outback would have left me  in a more stable position. I know we all should know our limits. I recently had back surgery and I don’t think my reflexes are as good anymore.  I am not to the point where I have to give up the sport.  In eight years I have been Kayak Fishing I did go over once. And that was completely my fault. Thank God it was the summer. 

Riddler is correct in the Revo being a great boat and fast with plenty of stability. He also has tons of experience with a variety of boats and more years of kayak fishing experience than most on here. What he doesn't have, as far as I can tell, is first person experience on the new outback. As someone who has extensive experience with the revo and about as much experience with the new one as anyone can, I can say it does well in the surf and is stable, tracks well and like others have said comes with good built in storage solutions. Don't go by anyone else's preference though, take one for a test drive and see if it's for you. As for loading, I find it fairly easy putting it on the roof of my escape using the loading block and a pad on my roof to keep it from scratching.

7 hours ago, monstahfish said:

Riddler is correct in the Revo being a great boat and fast with plenty of stability. He also has tons of experience with a variety of boats and more years of kayak fishing experience than most on here. What he doesn't have, as far as I can tell, is first person experience on the new outback. As someone who has extensive experience with the revo and about as much experience with the new one as anyone can, I can say it does well in the surf and is stable, tracks well and like others have said comes with good built in storage solutions. Don't go by anyone else's preference though, take one for a test drive and see if it's for you. As for loading, I find it fairly easy putting it on the roof of my escape using the loading block and a pad on my roof to keep it from scratching.

Thank you guys for the info. It’s very helpful and just reinsures my  confidence