4000 size reel recommendations

Rate this topic

rwilhelm

Hi, I am a big fan of the Spheros but need a 4000 size reel for my schoolie rod.  Any recommendations?  Thinking of Penn Slammer 360 (good deal on the bay) or Daiwa BG.  Would like to keep it under $150.  One thing on my mind though is my Slammer 560 doesn’t like to get wet.  I want something that can handle getting wet, not dunked but splashing.     

I really have no idea why Shimano abandoned the smaller size Spheros.  Did they replace with another reel?  

18 mins ago, rwilhelm said:

Hi, I am a big fan of the Spheros but need a 4000 size reel for my schoolie rod.  Any recommendations?  Thinking of Penn Slammer 360 (good deal on the bay) or Daiwa BG.  Would like to keep it under $150.  One thing on my mind though is my Slammer 560 doesn’t like to get wet.  I want something that can handle getting wet, not dunked but splashing.     

I really have no idea why Shimano abandoned the smaller size Spheros.  Did they replace with another reel?  

BG is a great little reel, but it does not like to get wet. Even splashing caused some water intrusion on mine.

13 mins ago, xjclint said:

If weight isn't important, slammer 3. If weight is daiwa back bay saltist or ballistic on sale.

I see a nice deal right now on the 4500 but think it is too heavy.  It’s for an 8 footer.  Will check out the Daiwa thanks. 

Another great choice for around a hundred bucks is the Shimano Nasci. I have the 5000 on my 8’r and just love it. It’s super smooth, and is actually semi sealed in a few critical areas, which is not the norm for a reel in this price range. I have fished the hell out of mine and its still buttery smooth. Definately worth a hard look.

I just picked up a spinfisher 3500 SSVI over the winter. Serious gears, great IPX rated sealing, full metal body. Nifty little reel.

It will be doing double duty between a Century 1025 and an 8ft Avid inshore for light surf casting. Can’t wait to get it wet.