Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rabid Bucktail

Weed at Smith Point

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

There have been TONS of weeds at smith point lately. It's not always there but the weed gets thick regularly. Mostly small bits (except the extreme days) but a good amount of time there is enough to give anglers trouble.

I've been trying to check out as many different conditions between the tide and wind as I can. If the wind sits down then usually the weeds thin out however some of the better fishing days in a year happen to be windy. Outgoing doesn't seem to help so all that snot has to be coming out of the dredging area (right? It has to be).

Is there something you guys look for to know the weed is going to move out? How long do you think this excess seaweed will last?

On 4/27/2019 at 4:28 PM, Rabid Bucktail said:

There have been TONS of weeds at smith point lately. It's not always there but the weed gets thick regularly. Mostly small bits (except the extreme days) but a good amount of time there is enough to give anglers trouble.

I've been trying to check out as many different conditions between the tide and wind as I can. If the wind sits down then usually the weeds thin out however some of the better fishing days in a year happen to be windy. Outgoing doesn't seem to help so all that snot has to be coming out of the dredging area (right? It has to be).

Is there something you guys look for to know the weed is going to move out? How long do you think this excess seaweed will last?

That area is pretty shallow and weedy.  I dont think its going away, its just how it is over their.  With the water being so low, it warms up quite a bit and the light reaches the vegetation.

Weed moves out the back bays on moon tides and out the inlets. Depending on winds it can either keep weed off shore or right on the beach. Pay close attention to the wind and pick your spots accordingly.  

Are you talking about the narrow bay or the ocean front?  I'm going to be camping out there in a few weeks.  I was hoping for some decent striper action.  I do remember days when it was very weedy.  If that's the case I might try fishing near the breach.

3 hours ago, fatbikerjoe said:

Are you talking about the narrow bay or the ocean front?  I'm going to be camping out there in a few weeks.  I was hoping for some decent striper action.  I do remember days when it was very weedy.  If that's the case I might try fishing near the breach.

Out front. If you're there for at least a few days I'm sure you'll find fishable conditions some of the time. Maybe the weather pattern will be better for it.