Is a net necessary for big fish catch and release?

With the salt side of kayak fishing I’d lip gaff bass or blues. Especially the blues never came in the kayak with me. The gaff gave me control over them very quickly. You’d gaff and with point up press them right against the side of the kayak. Do what you had to to get the hook out and flip off the gaff. You will have the opportunity to gaff them without any other misses that involved harm to their gills or body. 

On 4/27/2019 at 4:28 PM, saltfisherman said:

With the salt side of kayak fishing I’d lip gaff bass or blues. Especially the blues never came in the kayak with me. The gaff gave me control over them very quickly. You’d gaff and with point up press them right against the side of the kayak. Do what you had to to get the hook out and flip off the gaff. You will have the opportunity to gaff them without any other misses that involved harm to their gills or body. 

Gaffing catch and release fish:squid:

37 mins ago, Shaky86 said:

Gaffing catch and release fish:squid:

Reading comprehension issue I see. I said I lip gaff in the first sentence. Try reading correctly next time. It’s always assumed someone is special but one opens their mouth and all doubts are left behind. 

I wonder what the mortality rate is for lip gaffed bass. I can't imagine putting a giant hole where they need suction to feed is a good thing. One small hole from the hook is enough damage, isn't it?

I think we as kayak fisherman kill a lot of Bass with the handling. I know I am guilty.  Lap photos, whatever. Sure we may get a good swim away but that bass slime left on our laps is meant to to stay on the bass. 

If someone here thinks a rubber net will help? Use it and let us know your findings. It could work for the Bass. 

24 mins ago, The Riddler said:

If someone here thinks a rubber net will help? Use it and let us know your findings. It could work for the Bass. 

Good point re lap photos.

My net is thick rubber mesh...very fish friendly, good for smaller species, but one big enough to net 20lb+ bass would weigh a ton. Thinner PVC coated nylon mesh might be a good choice if you absolutely need that fish in the kayak.  

Imo single hooks and/or long boga grip, leaving the fish in the water...is probably the method that does the least harm. 

mvdewwe.png