triumph

Deep bottom park....Richmond

6 posts in this topic

Anybody launch from here? I've done 4 mile plenty but I'd like to try for some of those of those big blue cats on the river side one day.

How far of a paddle to the cutoff?

Do I need to go as far as the cutoff?

My kayaking bro has no interest in going out there..he says those big barges leave a 3+ foot wake

Used to launch my 20' center console there and catch those big blue cats. Plenty of fish to be had without venturing out into the main river. The trick is the bait - gotta have hand size chunks of fresh gizzard shad - and that usually means throwing a large castnet until you get enough to go fishing. Once you have the bait you can find big cats anywhere. I'd paddle into the middle of that island and see what some cut gizzard shad will do there.

Plenty of big cats in the Appomattox too and that launch is not very far from deep bottom.

It's all about the bait.

Agreed bait and gear. I’m gonna at least have to re-spool.

I’m not sure my abu6500c3 is stout enough only other option is a slosh 30.

according to the ruler on google earth it’s about a 2 mile row to the cutoff. The next weekday I can sneak out of work I’m going to do a scout run

Using google maps look at the up-river side of the deep bottom loop. There is something marked as Woodson Rock. I think it is an actual large rock, mostly under water. I recall fishing between there and the cutoff, closer to Woodson Rock than the cutoff.

That river is full of stupid. I'd use a flag and wear bright colors.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:35 AM, wasabi_VA said:

That river is full of stupid. I'd use a flag and wear bright colors.

Yeah that's why I'm thinking of going on a weekday and hugging the shoreline. That island is weird..it looks like it has a road on it I'd like to take a metal detector out there.

Thanks for the Woodson Rock tip.

On 4/27/2019 at 11:29 AM, triumph said:

Anybody launch from here? I've done 4 mile plenty but I'd like to try for some of those of those big blue cats on the river side one day.

How far of a paddle to the cutoff?

Do I need to go as far as the cutoff?

My kayaking bro has no interest in going out there..he says those big barges leave a 3+ foot wake

Hey- I’ve launched a couple times from there.  I’m new to va so not an expert.  have been launching mostly around The fall line / upper james, but have tried deep bottom as well.  Let me know if you want to meet up.  Prefer to yak areas like that with a bud.