top water poppers

chris koltz

Chris,

I throw 2 different top water baits. The first one is the 3-1/4 oz Chug Bug and also the smaller version of this. The bigger one casts like a missile and I get the most hits on it, because when you pop it across the top it displaces a lot of water. The smaller one I use when the fish are finicky. My wife on the other hand uses a Rapala Skitter-Pop, she has better luck with that. The Skitter-pop casts pretty far as well. I've had very good success with LMB and SMB on the Chug Bug. Excellent Lure.

Practice, practice and more practice, and when you think you're good practice some more." circa 2006, Cadman

I never used my Chug Bugs in freshwater?   I have to start using them.

I always use them in saltwater, its one of my favorite lures for stripers and Blues

once the schoolies go by I start using the bigger 5' plug.

Not a popper, but the Whopper Plopper throws a mile and works really well.

I am fortunate that I am never concerned with distance.   From the stealthy kayak, I can get some really accurate casts with Pop Rs and Z Mann Pop Shadz's.  I like to take a long cast parallel to shore line with the whopper though if it isn't too windy. 

Heddon Chug N Spook are distance lures that produce as well. 

Yea spook type lures cast well into the wind.   For me it's the JM on a light setup.   Just swap out the hardware and you're good to go.   It's my windy lure for early Spring SB in the sub-legal to legal sizes.   I like to mark them up too!   There's probably shore bound guys loading them up as well but I don't in the kayak.   No need really.   Lotta fun!

Edit...oops forgot I was in the Freshwater but LMB will hit the crap out this.  There's a freshwater version but I like the largest one they sell the best.    

5cc8830813f75_isca-artificial-zara-rebel-jumpin-minnow-t20-D_NQ_NP_659367-MLB29393261717_022019-F1.jpg.58ca43eb36cf936c1d3430b791292cbe.jpg

Edited by flylikabird

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

On 27/04/2019 at 8:31 PM, chris koltz said:

I throw a Storm chug bug a lot and believe it cast as far as any popper/chugger I've thrown. Curious to hear what ya'll think is the furthest casting top water you've throw.

not really, u tried Duo popper/pencil yet?

• 1 month later...