Captain Tuttle

San Francisco - Golden Gage Angling and Casting Club

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Did you read The NY Times story about Maxine McCormick?

That is where that little girl learned. 

The title was “The Mozart Of Fly Casting”

20 hours ago, Kml said:

Did you read The NY Times story about Maxine McCormick?

That is where that little girl learned. 

The title was “The Mozart Of Fly Casting”

I read that, but I did not remember she was from San Francisco.  I did mention her to my family as they prevented me from checking out the GGACC.  Looks like a similar club exists in Oakland.  I would love to see more clubs like that around the U.S.

53 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

I read that, but I did not remember she was from San Francisco.  I did mention her to my family as they prevented me from checking out the GGACC.  Looks like a similar club exists in Oakland.  I would love to see more clubs like that around the U.S.

A lot of notable casting talent has come out of that club. 

The Rajeff brothers came through there. 

Yes, great spot.  I wandered in one day a few years ago with my spey rod and had the chance to cast in their ponds.  The 3 or 4 members that were there when I arrived were very friendly and didn't have an issue with me making a few casts.  Really cool club.  I think there were a number of clubs like this built by the WPA around the country, including Chicago.  I think most are now gone.

Chuck

It is a great shame. We have Veladromes for Cyclist. Why not casting clubs which can act as centres of excellence for the benefit of all Fly Anglers.

Mike

Yes, Mike.  Agree 100%.  I think Joan Wulff started casting at a casting club in Patterson, NJ which, I think, is long gone.  See you in a few weeks!  Can't wait.

Yes.

I am starting to feel the buzz to.

I am having some spey lessons next week.

Hope Dave is on top form with his cooking.

mikey

Hopefully.  Trying to figure out how to physically get Dave to the Cape.  Long story, which I am sure he will share with you off-line.  Hilltop, are you bringing your kayak?

13 mins ago, ChuckCM said:

Hopefully.  Trying to figure out how to physically get Dave to the Cape.  Long story, which I am sure he will share with you off-line.  Hilltop, are you bringing your kayak?

I didn't last year but did the previous two years and didn't use them (single & tandem).   Really tempted to do so again this year to access some new spots in some of the estuaries / salt ponds / etc.     DanTheBassMan said he may head down for a couple of weekends and bring along a kayak so more than likely I'll do so this year for the just in case scenario.

HT

I love the Golden Gate Casting Club and have been there a number of times. Mostly when I've been out in the Bay Area doing the ISE and  The Fly Fishing Shows, but also when I've been out there just fishing. I've done fly casting demonstrations at the Club. One time they had a big lunch for me at the Club House and then after I went out to do a demo on the ponds. It was great meeting many of the members and the comraderie was great. I had a great time and was treated very well.

The fly fishermen in the Bay Area know each other well and have a "club like" group relationship like no other group of fly fishers in the Country. They "do" things together besides the fishing and club meetings, often having dinner at someone's house, or at a restaurant where many come to meet, eat, and socialize.

It's a very, very nice thing! I wish we had something like that in the NY Area.

Mark Sedotti