Misled

When not to Kayak

26 posts in this topic

I was interested how one goes about deciding whether they should go out or not.  What wind speeds and wave heights are a show stopper?  any marine specific app you use?

thx   

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anything above 20mph wind speed...and if I see white crests in the sea, forget about it.

I kayak in an inlet that's sheltered somewhat but if in the open, I wouldn't kayak when its 15mph+.

*******...it gives you all the metrics that you need to decide.  Its not 100% accurate but the metrics that it gives you goes down to a very local level.  But usually, I just eyeball the shore and make sure there isnt going to be a drastic change in weather for the day.

Edited by MizikeyofNYC
that would be tides for fishing wo the spaces.

Wind speed and direction is a big one for me. Also wave height if going in the ocean. Tides play a role in the bay. Swellinfo is a good site for waves and tide.  Wind forecasts are not very accurate. oldwindguru still works and is free.  As far as actual wave height, wind speed  or air temp it depends on your experience and your

kayak design.  Also water temps are important if you end up in the water you need to be dressed for immersion. Also a good idea if you know how to self rescue. Maybe let someone know where you are going and when you are expected back. It never hurts to go with a buddy. So they can keep an eye  out for trouble.?  Good luck and be safe.

It really depends on skill set and experience. Paddle with experience people , join a paddling fishing group find a mentor. Take all the lessons you can from an ACA  or BCU certified instructor (one with good ref). Hone your skills and spend as much time on the water as possible and note the conditions .

After a while you will learn your water and how it is affected by wind , waves and tide. No fish is worth a life

Ask yourself: is this going to be fun?

yes = go

no = don't go

Read the story in kayak angler about the clueless guy who almost drowned and ask yourself: is that me?  If it is, sell your yak.

I draw the line when the majority of the trip will be boat handling, staying upright, and looking over my shoulder.  I now avoid the “I hope I don’t get a fish now” conditions.

2 hours ago, MizikeyofNYC said:

Anything above 20mph wind speed

I won't head out if the forecast is over 10, since half the time it ends up being 20 anyway. 20 just ain't fun, and you should never ever let yourself get downwind of your launch if the wind is over 10. Many of us have had that "death paddle" back to the car. 

Not all the forecast models are the same. Check WF-WRF 2km before heading out even if you've looked at others, it's only good for 36 hrs in advance, but it's much more accurate, especially in areas with unique weather patterns like NYC waters.

Thanks for the replies and advice, this helps a lot.  I will be purchasing next month if not sooner and was doing my research in advance so I have at least a basic foundation for the first day. 

No worries about me, not an adrenaline junkie or a thrill seeker.  I like to learn from others mistakes and experiences and although a strong swimmer, I'm very, very cautious and respectful of the water.  The measure 3x cut once guy, that's me.  At first, I'll be sticking to shallow bays in my area during low tide doing a lot of intentional dumps to practice self-rescue and practicing balance before I load any equipment.  Then I'll do the same things with it loaded and practice that until I feel confident and safe enough to wander.

I'll definitely look into a kayak fishing group.  If not I'll keep to the safer waters until i gain more experience. 

I found this while researching:

"Learn the basic terminology used by mariners: Light Air: 1-3 knots, very safe. Gentle Breeze: 7-10 knots, small whitecaps begin to appear, becoming challenging for kayakers. Moderate Breeze: 11-16 knots, upper limit for inexperienced paddlers. Fresh Breeze: 17-21 knots, quite challenging in a kayak, solid experience required. Strong Breeze: 22-27 knots, paddling is very difficult, be experienced, gear up for immersion, paddle with other experienced kayakers also dressed for immersion".

Seems like this coincides with what you guys are recommending and good as reference. 

Thanks again!

It pays to have a backup plan, if possible. At least around here, there are plenty of backwater areas, harbors, coves, etc., less affected by wind and where swells aren’t really a factor.  If I’m planning to go out front but it looks to gnarly I just stay in the harbor I often launch from and still catch fish. 

41 mins ago, drmevo said:

It pays to have a backup plan, if possible. At least around here, there are plenty of backwater areas, harbors, coves, etc., less affected by wind and where swells aren’t really a factor.  If I’m planning to go out front but it looks to gnarly I just stay in the harbor I often launch from and still catch fish. 

Just so. Find a launch where you'll be in the lee of the land so you're sheltered somewhat from the worst wind, and the chop has no room to build up. The risk is if you get too far from the shore the wind is blowing you directly away. I once had a gator blue pull me away from shore under those circumstances, and it was quite a paddle getting back.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have you ever had to cut your line because you were getting towed by a fish? I have gotten spoiled by power boaters running over my line. Not by a fish. I should bring a extra reel with me or at least a spool?

Edited by dbjpb

6 hours ago, Slappy said:

Ask yourself: is this going to be fun?

yes = go

no = don't go

Read the story in kayak angler about the clueless guy who almost drowned and ask yourself: is that me?  If it is, sell your yak.

I do this every time. "Soo...this looks like its gonna be a s--- show....nope."

3 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Have you ever had to cut your line because you were getting towed by a fish? I have gotten spoiled by power boaters running over my line. Not by a fish. I should bring a extra reel with me or at least a spool?

Haven't had that happen since I stopped shore fishing piers and narrow inlets. But I would never go out with just one rig, sh*t happens.