Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I keep losing the dumbbell eyes on my clouser minnows. It is driving me nuts. Not sure if it’s a casting problem or if I’m tying wrong or if I’m using a bad batch of dumbbells but I swear nothing is more frustrating than pulling in a weightless clouser after less than 10 minutes of casting, and then to have it happen again ten minutes later. I am relatively new to shore fishing big rods on the ocean, mostly a 2wt for Brookies kinda angler, and lots of my flies have lasted me 15 years so far... but maybe this is just an aspect of the surf game? Anyone else experience this? How often do you blow through flies? 

image.jpg

If you are using lead eyes, they are likely breaking in half if you are hitting the beach on your backcast.

I always use brass eyes rather then lead.

I also never tie the belly bucktail in over the eyes anymore, as that is where it tends to split.

I tie the bucktail in behind the the eyes.

I use mono thread and super glue and don’t have any issue losing the eyes or having them come off.

You can also tie a piece of flat diamond braid in between the eyes to make them even more secure.

SF

Spirit River Real Eyes are pretty tough. Bears Den sells  them.

I like the small 5/32 size ones the  best. Can buy in a few colours.

Heavy dumbell  Eyes cast badly. Unless you are tying huge bushy Clousers.

Lead Eyes do tend to break. Too much thread tension can see them off.

I second the Real Eyes.  You can find similar generic ones on the auction site, or you can also buy them from Allen Fly Fishing.  I rarely have issues with losing the eyes, unless I hit something with the back cast or a fish tears it apart.  I tie them both ways (tying the belly over the eyes, and tying it behind the eyes).  For tying the bucktail over the eyes, a good amount of figure 8 wraps, along with several wraps behind and in front of the eyes to keep it in place.  Watching some youtube videos may help get you some ideas.

Posted (edited) · Report post

43 mins ago, Stonefish said:

If you are using lead eyes, they are likely breaking in half if you are hitting the beach on your backcast.

I always use brass eyes rather then lead.

I also never tie the belly bucktail in over the eyes anymore, as that is where it tends to split.

I tie the bucktail in behind the the eyes.

I use mono thread and super glue and don’t have any issue losing the eyes or having them come off.

You can also tie a piece of flat diamond braid in between the eyes to make them even more secure.

SF

Hey thanks! Do you have a pic of a clouser you’ve made with the bucktail tied the way you said? 

36 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Spirit River Real Eyes are pretty tough. Bears Den sells  them.

I like the small 5/32 size ones the  best. Can buy in a few colours.

Heavy dumbell  Eyes cast badly. Unless you are tying huge bushy Clousers.

Lead Eyes do tend to break. Too much thread tension can see them off.

I’ll check out some different brands, but the thread tension is something I’ve thought may be an issue. Thanks

8 mins ago, PSUFly said:

I second the Real Eyes.  You can find similar generic ones on the auction site, or you can also buy them from Allen Fly Fishing.  I rarely have issues with losing the eyes, unless I hit something with the back cast or a fish tears it apart.  I tie them both ways (tying the belly over the eyes, and tying it behind the eyes).  For tying the bucktail over the eyes, a good amount of figure 8 wraps, along with several wraps behind and in front of the eyes to keep it in place.  Watching some youtube videos may help get you some ideas.

I’ve generally avoided figure 8 wraps bc of how I was taught but I’ll give it a shot. Have you got pics of any clousers with bucktail behind the eyes?

thanks

Edited by Pitcherofnectar

Real Eyes here as well...base of thread, superglue, many x-wraps over the top and then more superglue on top.  Then when I flip the fly over to tie in the bucktail  under the shank, I put another dollop of super glue on the underside.  I use either Zap-A-Gap (preferred) or Krazy glue.  Seems to do the trick...

I don't have any pictures of tying with the bucktail behind the eyes, if I have time this weekend, I can tie some up.  What are you using for a head cement?  In your pic, the top clouser doesn't look like it had much head cement on it.  I use Loon Hardhead, but I know there are plenty of other options.  A few coats of that should help durability as well.

Pretty much do what everyone else does.  I use clear polyester thread picked up a a craft store.  I do put a small bump of thread just in front of where I want the eyes to sit.   Figure 8 wraps to hold it in place..liberally treated with super glue as I wrap them.  I also make some wraps just behind the eyes on each side of the shank and then finish off with a couple more figure 8 wraps.  Final bit of super glue to finish them off.   Wrap the bottom hair down in front of the dumbbell bring the thread bring it behind the eye and wrap.  I'll use super glue to secure.  When I finish the fly, I put a coat of UV resin over the wraps in front and the hair going over the dumbbell on the bottom.  Here's a picture of one I tied.

094.JPG

4 hours ago, Pitcherofnectar said:

Hey thanks! Do you have a pic of a clouser you’ve made with the bucktail tied the way you said? 

I’ll check out some different brands, but the thread tension is something I’ve thought may be an issue. Thanks

I’ve generally avoided figure 8 wraps bc of how I was taught but I’ll give it a shot. Have you got pics of any clousers with bucktail behind the eyes?

thanks

Pitcher,

Hopefully this will help. Sorry for the less then stellar pics.

This is with the bucktail tied in behind the eyes.

On this particular fly, I did the entire body section of the belly with diamond braid and create a red thread gill to hide the ends of the bucktail. You can see the diamond braid between the eyes in the last picture. That really helps lash down the eyes once the super glue sinks in.

I coat the whole thing with Bone Dry UV cure which make for a pretty durable clouser.

There are lots of ways folks like to tie clousers and there is no right or wrong way in my opinion.

This is just how I like to do it.

SF

67EB98B8-58E9-4FCF-B813-64EA5092E3BA_zpshejlny0b.jpg

BDA84FDC-441F-4D87-A26C-87E2AB1CBF79_zpsu2gjhrrj.jpg

06E2CF47-357B-4CB5-80F2-1B6D9FC10AA0_zpsseur9vug.jpg

3CE96D68-6DC1-422E-B27D-EB984568CE11_zps0rqckli9.jpg

Edited by Stonefish

18 hours ago, PSUFly said:

I don't have any pictures of tying with the bucktail behind the eyes, if I have time this weekend, I can tie some up.  What are you using for a head cement?  In your pic, the top clouser doesn't look like it had much head cement on it.  I use Loon Hardhead, but I know there are plenty of other options.  A few coats of that should help durability as well.

Generally I use hard as hull or sometimes the Wapsi stuff... do you coat around the dumbell too?

17 hours ago, Philly said:

Pretty much do what everyone else does.  I use clear polyester thread picked up a a craft store.  I do put a small bump of thread just in front of where I want the eyes to sit.   Figure 8 wraps to hold it in place..liberally treated with super glue as I wrap them.  I also make some wraps just behind the eyes on each side of the shank and then finish off with a couple more figure 8 wraps.  Final bit of super glue to finish them off.   Wrap the bottom hair down in front of the dumbbell bring the thread bring it behind the eye and wrap.  I'll use super glue to secure.  When I finish the fly, I put a coat of UV resin over the wraps in front and the hair going over the dumbbell on the bottom.  Here's a picture of one I tied.

094.JPG

Sounds great thank you for the pic

15 hours ago, Stonefish said:

Pitcher,

Hopefully this will help. Sorry for the less then stellar pics.

This is with the bucktail tied in behind the eyes.

On this particular fly, I did the entire body section of the belly with diamond braid and create a red thread gill to hide the ends of the bucktail. You can see the diamond braid between the eyes in the last picture. That really helps lash down the eyes once the super glue sinks in.

I coat the whole thing with Bone Dry UV cure which make for a pretty durable clouser.

There are lots of ways folks like to tie clousers and there is no right or wrong way in my opinion.

This is just how I like to do it.

SF

67EB98B8-58E9-4FCF-B813-64EA5092E3BA_zpshejlny0b.jpg

BDA84FDC-441F-4D87-A26C-87E2AB1CBF79_zpsu2gjhrrj.jpg

06E2CF47-357B-4CB5-80F2-1B6D9FC10AA0_zpsseur9vug.jpg

3CE96D68-6DC1-422E-B27D-EB984568CE11_zps0rqckli9.jpg

Very cool, looks like it sinks great. I will tie some of these for sure. Is that last pic the end product, or do you flip it over and tie another bucktail clump opposite the dumbbell (gape side of shank)?

Clousers tied  with all the material on the one side of the hook.are very simple to tye.

The materials rarely if ever foul and even better they stay  blended together better.

They are also quicker to tye.

Edited by Mike Oliver

4 hours ago, Pitcherofnectar said:

Generally I use hard as hull or sometimes the Wapsi stuff... do you coat around the dumbell too?

Sounds great thank you for the pic

Very cool, looks like it sinks great. I will tie some of these for sure. Is that last pic the end product, or do you flip it over and tie another bucktail clump opposite the dumbbell (gape side of shank)?

No, that is just the belly part of a clouser without the wing. I’d add flash and the wing next.

Because the eyes turns the belly down, I pay more attention to the durability of the belly.

The belly takes the most beating when fished in my opinion.

Google “High Tie Clouser” for the technique Mike Oliver  mentioned about tying all the materials in on one side of the hook.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

As Stonefly says it sounds like you are dropping your backcast, either by pausing too long or not directing the back cast up enough. It happens to all of us at some point.  No dumbbell can withstand being thwacked on rocks/shingle etc.