It's Official------2019 New Jersey Marine DIGEST

Rate this topic

squidder 329

These regs suck! The best fluke fishing in the SJ bays is april and may. It is a crime what the politicians have allowed to happen to our fishing regulations. They allow commercial boats to drag up the biggest spawning fluke on the continental shelf and punish us for the declining stocks!  

Cape May Canal

The recreational summer flounder open season is May 24 to Sept. 21. For Delaware Bay and tributaries, west of the COLREGS line which delineates Delaware Bay from the Atlantic Ocean, the size limit remains 17 inches and the possession limit is still three fish. The 17-inch minimum size limit applicable to Delaware Bay does not include the waters of the Cape May Canal east of the Cape May Ferry Terminal. Transport of summer flounder caught in Delaware Bay, greater than or equal to 17 inches but less than the 18 inches, may occur in waters east of the Cape May Ferry Terminal to the George Redding Bridge (Rt. 47) located at the entrance of Wildwood provided all fishing gear aboard the vessel is stowed with rigs removed and the vessel may not stop to fish for any species.In all other waters, the size limit remains 18 inches, the possession limit is still three fish and transportation of summer flounder less than 18 inches is prohibited.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:13 AM, Sudsy said:

And the best big fluke surf fishing in Monmouth County is in October

Ye I was down in the Monmouth and was just gonna fish for fluke for fun after the ablies left the beach and I never caught so many big fluke all over 20+in ,got bit every cast

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

Those were the days.....................

5cc7ba83ae14f_1996SaltwaterRegs.JPG.5c5b5ae2ab73ab59f260aa60757aecd9.JPG

I’m sure those days were fun but we are paying for it now! Those regulations were way too soft. 8 fluke at 14 and 14 weakies at 14 should have had doom written all over it. Christ, weakfish are practically wiped out. 

12 hours ago, jsbergen said:

I’m sure those days were fun but we are paying for it now! Those regulations were way too soft. 8 fluke at 14 and 14 weakies at 14 should have had doom written all over it. Christ, weakfish are practically wiped out. 

Speaking just for Fluke, I guess instead of letting people catch a few smaller fish, some of which could be male, and geting the hell out of there in a couple of hours, it makes more sense to make them C&R fish all day long, killing god knows how many due to poor handling/guthooks, and coming home instead with big breeder females?

On 4/30/2019 at 1:41 PM, JoeyZac said:

Speaking just for Fluke, I guess instead of letting people catch a few smaller fish, some of which could be male, and geting the hell out of there in a couple of hours, it makes more sense to make them C&R fish all day long, killing god knows how many due to poor handling/guthooks, and coming home instead with big breeder females?

Yeah, but this makes too much sense for the gov't to adopt it. You know those pencil pushers know everything about fishing.