stinky1

New Striped bass regulations

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Boy they really stepped up the game on gaffing undersized fish! That should help a lot. :banghd:

Private anglers must use In-line Cirlce  hooks for cut or whole bait.  Not sure why this is a regulation for just the common folk. Why not for everyone??

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial links here - thanks

11 mins ago, stinky1 said:

Boy they really stepped up the game on gaffing undersized fish! That should help a lot. :banghd:

Private anglers must use In-line Cirlce  hooks for cut or whole bait.  Not sure why this is a regulation for just the common folk. Why not for everyone??

To be clear the No gaff regulation is effective this year  Recreational no gaffing unless the fish is 28 inches or longer  Commercial No gaffing unless the fish is 34 inches or longer. Some one is going to have a ruler for an eye to make these types of decisions when gaffing a fish.

The In line circle hook does not take place until next year 2020

This is according to the latest release from division of marine Fisheries

This should generate a little conversation

They also indicated that of all those fish caught by recreational that the mortality rate is 48 percent and that the stock are in trouble to some degree

So do I gave this correct. Beginning next year, all anglers using bait will be required to use circle hooks?

On shore as well as a boat?

Of course the stock is in trouble. That was obvious when they were unable to fill the quota. Some of these fishery managers wouldn't stand a chance working in the private sector.

Bob they only made it mandatory on those fishing from shore, { boats appear to be ok] I think this will change before it becomes part of the law . They may want to see what the fishing public is willing to accept?

'Recreational anglers not fishing aboard for-hire vessels will be required to use inline circle hooks when fishing for striped bass with whole or cut natural baits.' I believe this applies to shore and boat fisherman? My interpretation is that if you aren't on a charter and you're using bait you need circle hooks no matter where you are fishing.  

So imagine this scenario.

EPOs will now be required to check each and every bait dunker the entire length of the canal.  They dont even check licenses, now they'll be expected to check hooks? 

FWIW, When NY went t that no gaff rule years ago, I was still fishing out of Montauk back then, all of a sudden, like overnight, all these big ass nets appeared! Not even a hiccup.

38 mins ago, bob_G said:

EPOs will now be required to check each and every bait dunker the entire length of the canal.  They dont even check licenses, now they'll be expected to check hooks? 

That may well be done with cameras going to a central station like they do now on both bridges . Send in the troops to stop those not using inline circle hooks ? They do not have enough to check for all of the poaching going on as well . It sure is a conundrum, that long term will require more enforcement on the water no matter where that may be . I have not heard what the fine will be if it is not followed ?    

44 mins ago, bob_G said:

Why bother checking the canal when they can sit and wait to bust balls at a ramp?

5 mins ago, stinky1 said:

Why bother checking the canal when they can sit and wait to bust balls at a ramp?

Yea I suppose. The easy way out.

2 mins ago, MakoMike said:

FWIW, When NY went t that no gaff rule years ago, I was still fishing out of Montauk back then, all of a sudden, like overnight, all these big ass nets appeared! Not even a hiccup.

Mikey it is not really a no gaff rule ? It would have made it much simpler to just issue a ruling that no gaffs are allowed in catching striped bass no matter recreational of commercial .By adding in the lentgh of what is legal for recreational and commercial sizes sort of changes the perspective in my mind and only increases  that gaffs will still be used , rather then having an out and out ban altogether.

When ever we are out on the boat with my friend we use an oversized net to bring in fish with. At times we have had to also use a gaff[in the lip] to help in that process.For what ever reason these larger fish are a little more difficult to bring onboard with just the net. We had the netting changed this year to have a deeper bag and hopefully make the job a little easier as I can not lift them into the boat any more, so the fish will sit in the net until my captain can put down his rod and do the heavy lifting.