Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drmevo

Hobie Livewell battery replacement

7 posts in this topic

I'm picking up an unused Hobie V1 Livewell locally on Saturday. The livewell was originally being sold with an older Outback so I'm assuming the battery will need to be replaced. It looks like official replacements are going for around $50. Since it's just a 6V battery I'm assuming I could go with a generic battery for much cheaper? Does anyone know if I could use a 12V battery? Also, are there any gotchas to watch out for with this unit?

23 mins ago, Rick67 said:

I can't help but imagining you opening the cover to a "Peanut/Mackerel Latte" :laugh:

Ha, hopefully it works as intended! I was able to get it for pretty cheap so I figured it was worth a shot. I had toyed with getting the V2 but decided $400 was too much for something I might not use a whole lot. I'll probably mostly use it for macks but maybe alewife in the spring, and maybe pogies if they show up again like last year. Realistically I'll bet it only gets used a half dozen times per year or less but my experience dragging bait around in laundry bag last year was not good and this should be easier and less drag than other methods.

12v will work but your bait will be in a Jacuzzi. Pump can sometimes be a pain to prime, and when you stop the pump your water will all drain out unless you install some type of check valve. If the intake is the original style (just an open hole) they tend to pick up any weed you pass by and plug up the pump. You will notice this after it’s too late. water has all drained out and your bait is dead

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, Daletr said:

12v will work but your bait will be in a Jacuzzi. Pump can sometimes be a pain to prime, and when you stop the pump your water will all drain out unless you install some type of check valve. If the intake is the original style (just an open hole) they tend to pick up any weed you pass by and plug up the pump. You will notice this after it’s too late. water has all drained out and your bait is dead

Thanks. I did a test in the bathtub and the original battery ran for over 8 hours before I decided to shut it off, so I guess I’ll leave it for now. 

I put a large party balloon with the tip cut off over the outflow and that seems to work well as a check valve. Water flows in easily but once you shut the pump off it collapses on itself and doesn’t allow water to escape. 

I also bought a small stainless mesh sink strainer and cut out a piece to cover the intake so it can’t suck in debris. Neither were my ideas but they were quick, cheap mods that seem to work well.

Edited by drmevo