Spigola

Fluke inequity

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/25/2019 at 9:50 AM, Spigola said:

New York fluke season starts May 4, New Jersey fluke season starts May 24.  Is anyone going to be patrolling off North Jersey beaches to see if New York boats are violating our regulations.  Bad enough we are already losing several weeks of prime fishing without the NY boats coming down and gobbling up part of our quota.

Clickbait!!

Edited by yarddog59

For god's sake can you Philly and South Jersey guys stop calling them flounder. If you insist on using that term, then you are required to also substitute the term rockfish for striped bass. It's in the rule book.  :beatin::banghd:

Calling a flounder a fluke must be a real fluke  :rav:  Now, if I could catch flounder in Florida like I can in New Jersey that would an awesome fluke!  :lock:  Of course someone could always say to me, "fluke you" and I'd really be confused  :shaky:

On 4/26/2019 at 3:01 PM, Ben Lippen said:

Asshat, you really should have the facts in your brain before you post here.

The NJ State waters are closed to fluke fishing until May 24th. I dont care if your boat is docked in East Jibip. Closed is closed. Moron.

He speaks the Troof here....

I spoke with 2 different people so far at fish and game.  one said c & r is legal with flounder out of season, one said she thinks its not legal, but not sure.l.  so maybe I am wrong, but if the people at fish and game are not sure, guess that makes them morons also.

a conservation officer is going to call me back with a definitive answer.

with the 2019 marine digest stating that waters are closed for stripers out of season is point on, but with the flounder regs, nothing in there states that waters are closed could be considered a loop hole.

On 4/28/2019 at 7:20 PM, Sparky said:

For god's sake can you Philly and South Jersey guys stop calling them flounder. If you insist on using that term, then you are required to also substitute the term rockfish for striped bass. It's in the rule book.  :beatin::banghd:

We have another term in SE Pennsylvania & S Jersey you will find annoying. Everyone north of Trenton/I-195 area, we call them “New Yorkers.”

:rav:

5 mins ago, EricDice said:

We have another term in SE Pennsylvania & S Jersey you will find annoying. Everyone north of Trenton/I-195 area, we call them “New Yorkers.”

yep cause they aint philly sports fans

On 4/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, kayak99 said:

Calling a flounder a fluke must be a real fluke  :rav:  Now, if I could catch flounder in Florida like I can in New Jersey that would an awesome fluke!  :lock:  Of course someone could always say to me, "fluke you" and I'd really be confused  :shaky:

My brother has found that NJ tactics for flounder seem to not work down south for whatever reason, but the bottom where he is at is muddy really and not sandy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fluke are Fluke and Flounder are Flounder.

Try keeping a Fluke at 12 inches and telling Fish and game it's really a flounder.

Look at the NJ regs. They are listed as

Fluke and Winter Flounder

Edited by fdhog

10 hours ago, EricDice said:

And we call you bennies. I guess that makes us even. 

10 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

yep cause they aint philly sports fans

bunch of hoagies :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

My brother has found that NJ tactics for flounder seem to not work down south for whatever reason, but the bottom where he is at is muddy really and not sandy.

I can only speak for my own experiences, but the techniques I use to catch fluke in NJ also catch flounder in South Carolina.  For me, flounder are more abundant down there in the 'back,' in the rivers, estuaries and marshes as opposed to the surf.