Southcoastphil

Brown Plugs--Do you fish them?

Rate this topic

102 posts in this topic

I'm not referring to plugs in patterns like bunker or squid; rather, I am asking about plugs in various combos of browns, such as all brown, brown over a lighter-colored belly, etc.  AFAIC, they could be any style of plug, from metal lips of all types (inc. jointeds) to needles to poppers to pencils to bottleneck swimmers.

I'm asking because I just read an informative article in an online journal what was about that specific color.

Looking forward to your inputs along the typical dimensions (e.g., plug type, conditions of water and wind, structure, time of year, baitfish imitated, etc.).

Not interested in any scatological responses.

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the 1960's and 1970's just about everyone that fished the Canal would have a brown over white Gibbs Pencil Popper in their bag. Because then the predominant baits were whiting and squid, the Gibbs Casting Swimmer was also popular in the same color combination. Things change, now its tough to find lures in that color combo. 

A popular lure along the outer beaches was the Root Beer SS Needlefish in the 1990's and 2000's. Before that in the 1950's the reverse Atom was popular in the same color. 

If squid are around, I use them but white seems to work as well, at least for me.

Edited by snookster

Used the pattern occasionally over the years but could never gain enough confidence in it to keep it in the rotation.

Most of mine now languish in the basement.

Read that same article as well, made me think of the questions I have asked here, I actually pm(ed)

Steve ( VSsteel) last year asking him about his thoughts on Brown.

Pollack used to blitz in Montauk years ago, "Pollack light" is a term i have come across in my reading.

It is that twilight prior to the sun setting, anyways my thought being maybe the falling out of a popular 

color can be tied to the lack of once abundant bait type.

i have tried using Brown without much success, but that article and my conversations with other here on SOL will have me sticking a few in my bag. Again just my .02

6 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

Phil,the late Al Bensen,had me make him some dannies that were painted all brown and a few brown over pink.Al was well known as someone who could catch fish

Thank you John.

Brown over pink sounds like a good squid pattern.  Although I wasn't asking about squid patterns, I hadn't considered that pattern.

Could you share the shades of brown you used, especially for the all-brown plugs?

5 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Amber/root beer colored SS darter is a great plug. I've also done pretty well with a "doo doo" brown Beachmaster junior and danny when I've used one.

Perfect choice of words, Steve!!

I have one of those rootbeer plugs that's been hanging in my cave for years, never even carried.

Guess I'll bring that one to the salt this season.

Love the root beer SS needle.

I do use brown swimmers, but they must have a yellow pink or gold tint or shading in them also. The old Bob Hahn pattern was one of my favorites.

5 hours ago, DZ said:

Used the pattern occasionally over the years but could never gain enough confidence in it to keep it in the rotation.

Most of mine now languish in the basement.

DZ,

I just hate the thought of those plugs “languishing”. Send them down here to Jersey and I will put them to good use.

13 mins ago, CharlieK said:

DZ,

I just hate the thought of those plugs “languishing”. Send them down here to Jersey and I will put them to good use.

Funny you should say that - for years needlefish plugs languished in the same place - then i discovered Block Island ;) most plugs find a second life... eventually.

After reading the article, I'll definitely be painting my next batch of plugs with a brown top! Great article and I've always been interested in the brown top ivory belly color plugs. That article and your curiosity just lit the fire Phil! Thanks!