Bow390

Washing reels after every trip

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, valentine said:

Gentle Freshwater rinse from hose every trip. Maybe once or twice a year run a soapy sponge over them. Complete breakdown and re-lube annually. That’s it. That’s all they get. That’s all they’re ever going to get because it’s all they need. It’s Pretty funny what some guys do with their tackle. There’s No need for a wash, wax, spray preservative and then putting your reel on a satin pillow for a rest. 

Using this method, I have an assortment of cheap reels that refuse to die.   Just rinsing after each trip, and lubing after each season pretty much keeps my cheap-o reels new.   

19 hours ago, valentine said:

Gentle Freshwater rinse from hose every trip. Maybe once or twice a year run a soapy sponge over them. Complete breakdown and re-lube annually. That’s it. That’s all they get. That’s all they’re ever going to get because it’s all they need. It’s Pretty funny what some guys do with their tackle. There’s No need for a wash, wax, spray preservative and then putting your reel on a satin pillow for a rest. 

Using this method, I have an assortment of cheap reels that refuse to die.   Just rinsing after each trip, and lubing after each season pretty much keeps my cheap-o reels new.   

10 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Just to clarify are you guys talking about hosing off any old reel of just sealed reels like vs?  

I just use VSs and have been rinsing them with fresh water after each trip since I have owned them. They are sealed but if neglected salt can get into the handle and line roller as well as other cracks and crevices. I have seen Van Staals that have been neglected and they are no different than any other reel that is used in the salt water.

Remove spools, wash in warm soapy water in kitchen sink with soft sponge then rinsed with warm water under faucet, put spools back on with zero drag pressure. Has served me well with some reels being close to 40 years old. Grease and oil as needed plus annual inspections and service in my shop.

3 hours ago, MizikeyofNYC said:

I hear you, brother. I have many reels that are more than 60'years old and they just keep ticking away as long as I give them their wash and lube. 

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

Apartment: into the shower. House: light spray with the hose.

Thats a simple but brilliant synopsis. Don't forget a seasonal lube and your reels will last and last. 

15 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I just use VSs and have been rinsing them with fresh water after each trip since I have owned them. They are sealed but if neglected salt can get into the handle and line roller as well as other cracks and crevices. I have seen Van Staals that have been neglected and they are no different than any other reel that is used in the salt water.

Just because it's a sealed reel doesn't mean it needs no maintenance. I do feel that rinsing the salt from any reel is the single most important maintenance act to perform and that it needs to be done every time you use your gear in saltwater. Every time ! And that goes for anything used in saltwater; rods, reels, lures, pliers, etc. Sure, high end reels sealed reels  tend to hold up better to neglect than non sealed reels but why would anyone not rinse the salt off their reels. It's the simplest, easiest and quickest form of maintenance and it will save you mucho $$$.

Rinse them down with the hose, give the rod the once over and air dry. I might clean them a little more after a weekend of fishing, but generally just try to keep salt build up as small as possible.

Like I said I use the garden hose, works for me. Then bang the butt on the deck a couple of times an let it dry off in  the sun.  Its good to go.   Its no big deal. my reels are not sealed . never had a problem.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ccb that worked for 25 years with my Penn GTIs. It was the only maintenance I ever did on them and they never had a problem.

Poseidon took them in October, RIP...

Edited by mwhitt80

12 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

I’ve been debating getting one of these to keep in the trunk. HD also sells a 2 gallon version. 

39A1ADA8-3205-4463-86F7-EE648C6136FA.jpeg

Now this is an excellent idea...

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, mark77 said:

I've seen a bunch of surfers around here with these setups to rinse off, pretty slick .  

rinsewater.jpg.348aca4475c1b738060a816b43e8045c.jpg

Hey, that is pretty cool and I absolutely love the idea of having warm water available. That would really wash the salt away. Wonder how many gallons that thing holds? 

Edited by valentine

I carry a milk crate with water jugs . I rinse the reels as soon as I get back to the car and wipe them down with a clean cloth. Rods get wiped down to. Lube every once in a while. Good cleaning in fall when done for year. This seems to keep them trouble free.