Bow390

Washing reels after every trip

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Gentle Freshwater rinse from hose every trip. Maybe once or twice a year run a soapy sponge over them. Complete breakdown and re-lube annually. That’s it. That’s all they get. That’s all they’re ever going to get because it’s all they need. It’s Pretty funny what some guys do with their tackle. There’s No need for a wash, wax, spray preservative and then putting your reel on a satin pillow for a rest. 

11 hours ago, JerseyBros said:

Hand soap, big soft sponge or boat mitten and a light freshwater rinse.

I used to do this but now only rinse with water, I worried the fragrance from the soap would get on the line.

I usually rinse down with fresh water and a few squirts of wd-40 on handle. I was told by a commercial guy not to use wd-40 because it will break down the grease though.

I ignore my rods and dunk the reels in a bucket of fresh water, then remove spool and air dry. Every few trips, I lube the moving parts. Also throw the lures from that day in the bucket for a rinse. 

I agree with just about all of the responses thus far, just remember not to use a hose with any serious water pressure because the high-pressure spray could drive salt, sand, and anything else further into the mechanics of the reel.  This is of course mainly for reels that are not sealed, reels like Staals and ZBs will not mind...  Also, don't forget to rinse off your guides and lures.  :th:

Reels and rods get a gentle spray from hose outside at home, boat rods at the dock, usually pat down with a rag and then air dry. Sometimes I'm dog tired, or I don't want the neighbors to freak out if they catch a glimpse of someone fumbling around with a flashlight late at night, so it gets get skipped for the next time or the morning.

Frequently during the season I give the rods a real good wipe down with gentle soap, and reels get "lightly" disassembled and inspected/deeper clean. The big stuff is usually handled down cellar over the winter.

Tapwater from the sink, I'll take the spool off and run that with tapwater too.

Yet still my Penn Fierce 2 is seizing up and squeaking when I reel. I've greased and oiled it as well.

Reels only a month old, but whatever I'm doing definitely isn't right

One of the top local surf fishermen that I know has a jug of water that he keeps in his truck to wash down after. The pour over doesn’t Force water into the reel like the hose could also I keep my drag tight when I rinse to try and keep the water out and loosen when I store