bob_G

Hummingbirds

Rate this topic

91 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, DZ said:

That sugar water must put out some scent.  I checked on the feeder I put up for my mother.  Hanging off a metal pole stuck in the ground.  It was covered with ants.  Will the birds still feed with ants on the feeder?

I use these. A little pricey but they keep the ants and the rain out.  I think the large red color attracts a few more of the little fighters too.  

51WlTDy59oL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

6 hours ago, DZ said:

That sugar water must put out some scent.  I checked on the feeder I put up for my mother.  Hanging off a metal pole stuck in the ground.  It was covered with ants.  Will the birds still feed with ants on the feeder?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMfZGiWWsoITl_Ct4RDuOv_-sIu0V9_k7lG0CmMBQnF32nkiuuzaFGoZy7-rsQLojUtLfJGOqa&usqp=CAc hummingbird moat worked for me last year.  and supposedly they don't like the ants

We put a feeder out last weekend.  I know it is early but after last year seeing one get here early had me feeling a little guilty.  I was looking out the kitchen window and a hummer flew up to the hook and there was no feeder there and he flew away.  This year we are ready.

Once they show up we will put out the other feeder.   

There have been 2 or 3 pairs of cardinals here all winter which was kind of cool to see when the snow was flying.   And when the Orioles show up the grape jelly and orange slices will go out.

Blue birds will be back soon and they have a few more nesting boxes ready for their arrival.

Years ago I never gave it much thought about the different birds but now as I get older I enjoy seeing all the different birds we get at the feeders while having a cup of coffee in the morning.

2 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

Blue birds will be back soon and they have a few more nesting boxes ready for their arrival.

Bluebirds don't leave. They already have eggs hatching.

I know habitat is key for bluebirds and perhaps that’s my problem but I put out meal worms and don’t get bluebirds. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Bluebirds don't leave. They already have eggs hatching.

We had them for part of the winter and they disappeared.  They only recently started wintering over. (Since 2014 or so)

Just now, DMacLeod said:

We had them for part of the winter and they disappeared.  They only recently started wintering over. (Since 2014 or so)

They move around depending on food availability. They've always wintered around here(northern Middlesex County) for as long as I can remember. They depend on things like winter berries, crabapple etc. When those are used up they move around but they don't really migrate.

The boxes here have been occupied for a few weeks. Most have eggs, some have hatched.

I don't monitor boxes myself anymore but I see the pics everyday in my local FB group

We've had the hummingbird feeder out for a week. Not a bird.  Put the oriole feeder out yesterday.   We haven't seen an oriole yet.

After being few and far between all winter, cardinals are all over the place. Males chasing females, males chasing males. They're real territorial right now.