bob_G

Hummingbirds

Rate this topic

91 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Whats the best method to clean feeders? 

Well I put them out and the bears take them never to be seen again.  Kinda like a non refillable container

Gotta be careful cleaning feeders, no harsh chemicals like bleach if using a plastic feeder. hot, hot water a drop or two of dawn, soak and scrub with an old toothbrush (I tape on an extension), hot rinse, rinse, rinse, try not to leave any residue. Gotta change out the sugar water more than you think, they can get sick if it sits too long in the heat, as the summer sets in.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just warmed up a sugar mix, soon as it cools I'll have at least one out.

Have already gotten BlueBirds to the feeders, lots of Cardinals moving in too. Goldfinches are abound everywhere.

When should we expect Baltimores? I picked up a jelly feeder this year.

Washing bird feeders? Mild soap solution (Dawn), then a dip in a mild bleach/water combo, then just a water dip. Air dry well.

Edited by woma

i have cardinal flowers near one of my feeders and they go to the flower over the feeder consistently while the plant is up

I've read on many sights not ever use any type of soap to clean Hummer feeders. I just use brushes and warm water and a clean towel. I don't even put them in the dishwasher with no soap, as I've heard many folks recommend. Also, don't use that red crap water they sell to feed hummers. They say on Hummer sights it causes some type of intestinal disease and you can see the red dye in their droppings.

Wowa have you ever seen kestrels flying with a mouse or small rodent and impel rodents of a sharp breach while flying full speed. Then come back later to chow down?? Something to see. Google it up and I'm sure you can find some video online some where..

Yeah plastic is the culprit on chemical cleaners. Absorbs, warms up and releases. Can you you imagine what we ingest on a daily basis with plastic. ... another topic all together.

I’d say diluted vinegar in hot water but that may kill them too. Seems all cleaners are are killing the environment, stay dirty?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I go with hot water and brush. Once in awhile I'll run a pipe cleaner through the feeding holes. I think changing the sugar water frequently is  more important than the cleaning. My feeder is hanging but no takers yet on Cape Ann. Warbler invasion is in full swing so it won't be long.

Edited by Larry Bird
idiot

17 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Whats the best method to clean feeders? 

Might not be the best but use hot water and a paper towel for the large sections. The feeding ports I pop out and use a small brush and pipe cleaners . I wont use a feeder that's difficult to clean or one that cant be taken apart completely . Mold quickly rears it's ugly head around the feeding ports the hotter it gets.

That sugar water must put out some scent.  I checked on the feeder I put up for my mother.  Hanging off a metal pole stuck in the ground.  It was covered with ants.  Will the birds still feed with ants on the feeder?