coolhandfluke

gators being caught from deleware beaches ?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

28 mins ago, Slayer196204 said:

I actually like fresh blue fish. If you freeze it feed it to the dogs! 

I cutout all the dark meat off before cooking. That is what holds the nasty taste .

I use lemon, garlic powder or fresh garlic if i have it, tomato , onion and Adobo seasoning. putin foil and bbq

you like blue fish, but you put everything in the cabinet on it.     I bet if you put all that on the dark meat it would eatable also:p

21 hours ago, HighEndHooker said:

Why do you think that’s odd? Usually blues are right behind bass because they need warmer water, and stick around longer through the summer. A 5lb blue is a dink, a 10lb is hardly a gator

Who cares? it is a nickname. I call em gators no matter the size (besides snappers), pretty much anything with nasty teeth is a gator to me.

9 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

It's odd because they don't normally get 10 pound blue fish in large numbers.   last i checked they have had bad  springs nothing like we see up here.  The usualblue fish there are about 20 inches and smaller. 

Nah smaller. Best to fish for blues up there

17 hours ago, Slayer196204 said:

Coolhandfluke that is how i cook stripers too. keeps the fish moist and gives a good flavor

I was just teasing you. there is no wrong way too cook how you like things. everybody's taste is different. myself, I like to taste the fish so I use minimal spices, which is why I don't like blues.

On April 25, 2019 at 1:52 PM, Fi**** 2 said:

My favorite bluefish recipe:

Place wet plank of cedar on grill, place blue on cedar plank, cook 20 minutes, remove bluefish from grill and throw it in the garbage, season cedar plank and eat it.

Seriously I have tried everything I can to get Blues to taste edible, haven't been able to stomach them at all.

You oughta try them smoked. With a bit of mayo/horseradish dressing they are a treat. Use small ones, like 1-3 pounds, and smoke them with skin on. Discard the dark meat when you eat them. 

I fried up some fish last year. Black drum, bluefish, and fluke. My girlfriend thought she liked flounder the best until blind taste test, and black drum was the winner (black drum cubed up into nuggets and deep fried is the way to go). She didn't like the bluefish much. I'll eat smaller blues and have never caught a big one to entertain the idea, but even the smaller ones are a little fishy - so I can't really see a 20 lber tasting all that great. Hell, they had blues filleted up at Shop Rite the other day and it just looks terrible. If I catch a big one I might try it just to be sure my thoughts are correct, but given what I know about the smaller ones, I don't have high hopes. I don't think I've eaten a fish that has the same kind of off-putting color as a bluefish fillet. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Good2Go said:

You oughta try them smoked. With a bit of mayo/horseradish dressing they are a treat. Use small ones, like 1-3 pounds, and smoke them with skin on. Discard the dark meat when you eat them. 

Love'em hot off the smoker with a ritz cracker and red onion, the cheeks are the best. Small ones are best for sure, but we did some in the 8-10lb range last year and they were still good, just need to bleed them and get them on ice fast or that meat turns to red mush.

Edited by nateD