jettyjockey18

Almost turkey time...

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

my son Garrett with a nice 2 yr old tom, the first one he's called in by himself...Plymouth bird...

the spot he hunted was super crowded this morning which is actually unusual for this place...

I had no such luck, i was a few miles away on a power line all by my lonesome, which is also unusual...predawn i heard birds gobblin way in the distance, but nothing on the power line...

0429190755d.jpg

Edited by jettyjockey18

I did nothing today. El zippo. Cold, not a breath of wind. One of my prime roosts. I could hear geese 2 miles away. But never heard a single gobble. Normally I hear them on all the surrounding hills.  I heard only one shot all morning in the distance. I'm wondering if that crazy youth hunt ruined opening day?  BTW, the owls were insane today. Had three groups going at once. Hooting, barking and growling at each other. I love those birds.

Nada in my spot either. 28 degrees when I left the house.  :scared:

My brother got a nice one in the next town over. 

We'll try again in the AM.  

48 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

Nice bird. I saw a couple trucks in my travels this morning; didn’t hear any far off shots though

I heard zero shots, although i did leave the woods around 7:30ish to meet up with my son...still, for this area sound travels half a mile easy and no shots by 7:30 is surprising...

4 hours ago, jettyjockey18 said:

I heard zero shots, although i did leave the woods around 7:30ish to meet up with my son...still, for this area sound travels half a mile easy and no shots by 7:30 is surprising...

Maybe you could ask the young sharpie for a couple tips......:D

Well done Garrett. :th:

After I left the wiids I took a drive around checking out the fields. Only say a few lonely hens going about their business. Not a boy in sight.

Hmmm, birds on the cape are gobbling and all henned up. 100 miles inland not so much.  Amazing how when they turn off you'd swear there wasn't a bird around.

During my couple of scouting trips to Plymouth over the past 2 weeks I saw plenty of hens but only one tom which is not typical...no idea why or what it means...

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, jettyjockey18 said:

During my couple of scouting trips to Plymouth over the past 2 weeks I saw plenty of hens but only one tom which is not typical...no idea why or what it means...

Now on the other hand the majority of visitors to my farm are mostly toms of nice size . Me thinks the hens are beginning to set up nesting sites in the forest, like they do about every year at this time The peak hatching period is around may 20 to June 10 They need to drop the eggs and then incubate them and that takes time as well. I expect that the times may be a little different in parts of the state depending upon food sources and viable hatching areas.

The hens most likely were putting on the feed bag before nesting , which should start soon . Once the toms are all through mating the Toms begin to formulate there own groups along with the jakes . Once all of the hens have dropped there eggs and are in between each egg they will drop they will be out searching for nutrients until they finish laying all the eggs then  they will sit on the nest until all eggs undergo synchronous hatching. Unlike most birds that the young hatch out with no feathers and blind turkeys, hatch out as poults with feathers 

Nice to see your son is a chip of the old block and also out did dad on the first hunt. That has to give you a nice and warm feeling to be able to share the exeperience and do some bonding at the same time/

Edited by Angler #1

Toms are busy servicing hens after first light, then resting.

They'll gobble a few times and another hen will come get them.   

So many hens around, to be a Tom in the woods is like being a billionaire at the bunny ranch.

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Now on the other hand the majority of visitors to my farm are mostly toms of nice size . Me thinks the hens are beginning to set up nesting sites in the forest, like they do about every year at this time The peak hatching period is around may 20 to June 10 They need to drop the eggs and then incubate them and that takes time as well. I expect that the times may be a little different in parts of the state depending upon food sources and viable hatching areas.

The hens most likely were putting on the feed bag before nesting , which should start soon . Once the toms are all through mating the Toms begin to formulate there own groups along with the jakes . Once all of the hens have dropped there eggs and are in between each egg they will drop they will be out searching for nutrients until they finish laying all the eggs then  they will sit on the nest until all eggs undergo synchronous hatching. Unlike most birds that the young hatch out with no feathers and blind turkeys, hatch out as poults with feathers 

Nice to see your son is a chip of the old block and also out did dad on the first hunt. That has to give you a nice and warm feeling to be able to share the exeperience and do some bonding at the same time/

Google is a wonderful thing. :)

Had one Tom gobbling at first light in Plymouth yesterday. He was basically on the road so that drew 3 hunters to him. Got a glance at him before he vanished into some thick stuff but he stopped gobbling by 6am. Saw about 6 or 7 hens but that was it. Crisp but beautiful morning to be in the woods

6 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

Had one Tom gobbling at first light in Plymouth yesterday. He was basically on the road so that drew 3 hunters to him. Got a glance at him before he vanished into some thick stuff but he stopped gobbling by 6am. Saw about 6 or 7 hens but that was it. Crisp but beautiful morning to be in the woods

That bird will be unhuntable by the end of the week.

18 hours ago, bob_G said:

After I left the wiids I took a drive around checking out the fields. Only say a few lonely hens going about their business. Not a boy in sight.

Hmmm, birds on the cape are gobbling and all henned up...

Bob, I'm not a hunter, but does this mean you might change your location and hunt closer to home where tom sightings occur on a daily basis and the birds are very easy to harvest?