jettyjockey18

Almost turkey time...

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, jettyjockey18 said:

Mass turkey opener is Monday, youth hunt is Saturday and thanks to the past weeks chitty weather I've been out scouting a whopping 3 times... uggh... as of right now I don't have a specific bird located for Saturday which I need to rectify between today and tomorrow afternoon... 

I'm hunting local Saturday (Plymouth) with my 14 yr old son Ethan, then local again on Monday with my son Garrett... might make a Berkshire run on Saturday (weather dependent)... 

There was one on my neighbor's lawn this morning.  My city has an ordinance against releasing projectiles by mechanical means, so bring your machete. 

I have never seen as many big toms as I have in the last week around here.

They seem to be everywhere.....

These are not bird feeder suburban birds, but birds in big woods and out of the way fields.

Most probably rarely even hunted.

Hay field off an old road dirt road....

No, not that road Jettyjocky..... ;)

turkeys.jpg.fd143dc984c0c8f930a7cfc8f56199ed.jpg

Ha ha...i never even made it to Sandisfield last year, one quick commando trip to a spot near Monterey was all I could muster...my local spot ended having noisy birds for most of the season so that kept me close to home...

I do miss hunting the big woods though, sometimes it feels weird hunting 550 feet from a house...

and in other news, my attempted scouting trip this afternoon was a complete bust...got stuck in traffic on 495 south due to an earlier accident, didn't get home until after 6pm...changed quickly, grabbed my son and headed north...at 6:45 i was stuck in traffic on 44 near 105 in Middleboro...pulled the pin and called it, just wasn't meant to be...

Back from doing the youth turkey hunt with my son Ethan this morning...the weather was tolerable, warm and a little breezy...the showers/drizzle ended about 5 minutes before we started walking in the woods at 5am...

went in blind this morning, first spot was the same spot we hunted during last years youth hunt...zip...

walked to spot #2 across the street...bumped a hen a couple of times, otherwise zip...

left the woods and headed to the local Dunkins for food and beverage...along the way out we pass by a pole line and i look out and see a black shape...throw the binocs up and a nice tom is strutting in a easy spot to get to...continued to Dunkins, then came back, suited up and headed in...

managed to coax a few gobbles from the bird, but he had company and when she walked off, he followed...

made a drive by of one last place, then called it around 9:30...my son has baseball practice at noon and i figured a two hour nap would be helpful... 

I am still getting my usual stand of toms to the yard each day. I had at least 4 toms and four jakes and several hens doing the dance this morning waiting for me to feed them later I will get another stand of birds with more hens and fewer toms and jakes .

I see one huge moma come each day with here four sons and in size she is almost as large as the tomes strutting around

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

I am still getting my usual stand of toms to the yard each day. I had at least 4 toms and four jakes and several hens doing the dance this morning waiting for me to feed them later I will get another stand of birds with more hens and fewer toms and jakes .

I see one huge moma come each day with here four sons and in size she is almost as large as the tomes strutting around

Carl. do you think it wise to continue to feed them, especially when they can easily forage for themselves now that the weather permits it?

14 hours ago, Joe G said:

Carl. do you think it wise to continue to feed them, especially when they can easily forage for themselves now that the weather permits it?

Joe what i give them is a small amount of black sunflower seed , just enough to keep them coming . They are grubbing out Ticks and other critters in the process. They forage as they go from there night stand to where i am located . Eventually they all will go back into the deep woods as they have done in past years and i will not see them for awhile.   I stopped feeding the birds, except for the beef suit . That i will continue all summer. 

I do not worry about the turkeys so much as they will grub around many different locations during the day and disappear for awhile as they they walk and fly to other locations looking for food as well. Turkeys are a smart bird and if they do not get enough to sustain them they will move on to other locations that they have been imprinted with knowing that they have a food supply waiting .

It is almost time for them to gather and walk off into the deep woody areas , but in the meantime they will keep my tick count down and for no other reason I will provide a small healthy treat to there food diet while I can. I heard that feeding them black sunflower seed that the hens lay stronger shelled eggs ? I have many that will come into the yard and just lay down for awhile staying a few hours during the day.Knowing also that they are in a safe environment relaxing and sand blasting them selves 

Ma Fish and Wildlife publishes several press releases annually regarding the dangers of feeding wild animals, especially our  wild turkey. Even feeding them small amounts causes them to alter their feeding and roosting patterns. Its especially concerning with hens during mating season. Hens often nest close to food sources. So if someone is feeding birds on a regular basis, even small amounts of sunflower seeds, many young hens, who are first time mothers, will be nesting in between homes, or behind sheds and garages. This will leave their poults susceptible to family pets like house cats. There really are no deep woods on tbe Cape these days.

The chief turkey biologist for Ma F and W is a member of this forum and has poo pooed this practice on this forum in the past.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Ma Fish and Wildlife publishes several press releases annually regarding the dangers of feeding wild animals, especially our  wild turkey. Even feeding them small amounts causes them to alter their feeding and roosting patterns. Its especially concerning with hens during mating season. Hens often nest close to food sources. So if someone is feeding birds on a regular basis, even small amounts of sunflower seeds, many young hens, who are first time mothers, will be nesting in between homes, or behind sheds and garages. This will leave their poults susceptible to family pets like house cats. There really are no deep woods on tbe Cape these days.

The chief turkey biologist for Ma F and W is a member of this forum and has poo pooed this practice on this forum in the past.

Bob I live in an area that has plenty of deep woods where the turkey having roosted for enons and they have found safe nesting as well. They go to these roosting location every night , sit in the trees, until morning and then make there annual trek around many of the local neighborhoods in search of safe places to rest on the ground during the day light hours .   They over populated themselves as a result of hardly any predators and in some cases the food supply has also been reduced as a result of this explosion in and around the whole town of Sandwich . You did not tell me it was against some law to feed wild turkeys on ones property ? I will continue to feed them all winter as I have done over many years and as we get closer to nesting time , reduce the supply of sun flower seed as I have been until I feel they will be of on there own . Having worked and lived on a farm where we raised over 70, 000 White Holland for Thanksgiving and Christmas I know that these birds are smart and will find another course of travel when they are so inclined. We have plenty of places around our state as i post that feed turkeys on a daily basis in far more quantities then I do and they are on state owned land and work for the state and from there responces when asked about feeding them I have not received any information that is going to change my mind as one way to reduce the tick population the best and safe way for me to do.

Carl,

I'm not going to debate this with you, as what you're doing is detrimental to wild turkey, and possibly illegal.

You can wrap it in all the verbage you want in an attempt to rationalize your behavior. But perhaps you should read this article. It explains chapter and verse the pitfalls of feeding wild turkey here on the Cape. The man quoted in none other than the man himself, Dave Scarpitti, chief turkey biologist, Ma F&W. :)

http://capecodwave.com/please-dont-feed-the-turkeys-talking-turkey-with-the-state-expert/

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

Carl,

I'm not going to debate this with you, as what you're doing is detrimental to wild turkey, and possibly illegal.

You can wrap it in all the verbage you want in an attempt to rationalize your behavior. But perhaps you should read this article. It explains chapter and verse the pitfalls of feeding wild turkey here on the Cape. The man quoted in none other than the man himself, Dave Scarpitti, chief turkey biologist, Ma F&W. :)

http://capecodwave.com/please-dont-feed-the-turkeys-talking-turkey-with-the-state-expert/

Bob once again you jump of the wagon and tell me that your not going to debate me and make incorrect comments such as I do not have any deep woods where I live and that it may be illegal to feed wild turkeys. If you noted I made that comment and to my knowledge I will repeat there is not law that tells me other wise . 

Davids Opinions come as a result of single problems as it relates to wild turkeys roaming around the central parts of a city like Falmouth and that is comparing apples to oranges as far as I am concerned as I am in a wildlife zone as compared to down town Falmouth and my land is in the travel zone along which these turkeys are traveling until they head back further in the woods for the summer. Which some are beginning to do 

David gave his personal opinion given

what happens when the pecking order become egressive between man and beast and that is an understandable  reply to keep peace among the natives.    

Unless and untill it can be shown that what I am doing is illegal and not your opinion based upon what you misread. I will continue to thank you for your comments.  It would be great if indeed you decided to debate or answer your e mails and calls,   . My Turkeys think my behavior is fine at this time. 

Edited by Angler #1

And speaking of turkeys.....saw a big tom this AM......route 3 south bound on my way from Boston to Wally World and Market Basket in Plymouth......it tried to cross the road.....unfortunately, only made it one third across.....beautiful plumage.......sad.    :angel: 

Good luck to those going out in the morning. It’s going to start off pretty chilly it looks like. I’m going to be driving to spots I have never been and hunting blind. I enjoy trying something new and don’t have many birds local to me. 

my son Garrett (18) just asked me if it was ok if he hunted a different area from me tomorrow, said he wanted to give it a try it on his own...brought a tear to my eye LOL...I'm going to drop him off at a spot i saw a tom and hen together at 4pm today, then i'm going to hunt across the street...

good luck gents, be safe please...