jettyjockey18

Almost turkey time...

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

Mass turkey opener is Monday, youth hunt is Saturday and thanks to the past weeks chitty weather I've been out scouting a whopping 3 times... uggh... as of right now I don't have a specific bird located for Saturday which I need to rectify between today and tomorrow afternoon... 

I'm hunting local Saturday (Plymouth) with my 14 yr old son Ethan, then local again on Monday with my son Garrett... might make a Berkshire run on Saturday (weather dependent)... 

Me too. First time ever, no scouting.  Having adult responsibilities sux. Being an adult sux sometimes.  :laugh:

I've got plenty of places to go, but like you, don't know what the bird situation is, as in jakes or toms?

I'll never be in this situation again.

I haven't stepped foot into a patch of woods with turkeys in it recently. Lots of antler searching with no birds seen. I don't usually scout a whole lot though for turkey.

I am going to mostly drive out to spots that look like they would have turkeys in them on google maps then see what I find. Worked for me last year..

Looking forward to breaking in the new turkey gun. RI this weekend and MA next week. 

My local wild turkey farm is going strong . More toms to hens and all with full feathers and spikes. I have then sleeping  in my front year under the PIcture window and getting the sand into there feathers. Nice site for sure . I come out and they all say hello to me. I suppose they will go back in to the woods soon, but for now they are keeping my yard free from Ticks and that in self is worth having them around in the number I see every day The toms are really strutting there feathers almost doing a dance to say look at me .    Averaging around 30 every day at various times of the day with different counts between toms and hens I see one tom with 5 to 6 hens prancing around , then a few single hens make there way around the house. I got to go for a few are calling me out for a little attention     

3 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Are turkeys good at eating ticks?  I didn't know that. 

Yup. They certainly are. I may get chickens again to reduce the tick population 

Hmmmm.  

I've been told quail are good, too.  One of the Long Island towns made a great show of releasing bobwhite quail to reduce the tick population (36 quail, that'll show 'em!) here in Suffolk. Given the dense population of wandering cats, I wonder what their life expectancy might really be. 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Are turkeys good at eating ticks?  I didn't know that. 

It has been reported that ticks are part of there daily diet and I have reported this in other tick mentioned posts in the past. They consume some where between 40 to 50 each day . I have about 40 different birds coming every day times 50 can be a lot of ticks in the course of a week They can help to keep the tick count down and for those of us that are sensitive to these bites that is a great thing

We have Guinea fowl for express purpose of organic tick disposal. Works great.

Never seen so many turkey. Couple days ago had to stop at a dozen or so sauntered across the road. Good luck guys.

28 mins ago, jettyjockey18 said:

I always heard Guinea fowl were the tick eating champions of the feathered world... 

Yes, this is true.   I heard the fowl are the champs. But the fact is like their domestic counterparts, wild turkey feast on almost all insects. But their favorite are grasshoppers. As soon as they feel they're ready, hens have their poults in fields teaching them to catch them. Many times I've watched several hens with broods of poults working hay fields.

But I'm told the all time champ is none ither than our lowly opossum.

Guinea fowl have their drawbacks. They're not native, which probably imposes legal restrictions on releasing them. I understand they're also very, very loud. OTOH they're also supposed to be good eating if you like dark meat (I do.) 

As far as opossum may go, I think their bolt has been shot. They reproduce too slowly.  They do have one value to me - the opossum who raids the outdoor cats dishes (we feed three that I know about) greatly vex my wife, who finds them creepy and icky. I tell her that all they really want is a chance to run their paws through her hair. This elicits an amusing degree of annoyance.

That's not funny! Don't say that! and so on.