Sudsy

I need to see some storage racks for multiple kayaks

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have one of these ShelterLogic domed sheds and i need to build a rack to hold 3 items, a 15' yak, a 10' yak and one of those long narrow 8' Thule roof boxes (which because of the bottom protuberances won't slide out easily from the end of the rack 

I'm dealing with a wall and ceiling that curves in, not straight up and down like a regular shed, and the access is going to be from the side of the rack. Like I said, sliding one in and out from the end would be difficult

And it has to be along the side, not down the middle, so we have access to get other large items like the hard top to my sons jeep, in and out

The framing of the shelter isn't strong enough for anything more than light bracing, so this unit has to be self standing

Anyone done anything like that ?

Fabric-Garage-cover-1.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

I take it the shed isnt 16' wide?  Perhaps you can build a shelf instead of a rack that the kayaks slide on top of and you are able to walk underneath, assuming the port can fit 3 kayaks wide.  Then the jeep top and thule roof box can go underneath with space to spare.

i'm currently using a harborfreight portable garage for $199 before coupons.

it's a cheap solution but works.

thinking of getting some lumber to weigh down the base and make the framing more rigid... it kinda likes to move in the wind.

i'm thinking of making some double or triple deck rack with 2x4's and using some PVC over EMT to serve as roller so I can roll it out 

of course they will have to be stored upside down... and rack to be wider than my widest yak.

I've had this ShelterLogic for 20 years and it's still going strong

No one has ever built a rack ??

I use a metal framed bench swing that was beyond saving. Basically two triangular ends about 5ft tall at the peak, 4ft wide at the base. The small pelican is highest, with my 12ft Equinox sot below it, and now my ‘19 outback on bottom. But it isn’t proper. Needs runners for storing the yaks on their gunnels. I suppose for your two yacks it could work. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pvc pipe is cheap but the fittings are expensive . Pvc carts are light weight. I attached wheels to them too.  Pvc gets a little brittle when cold. Wood is cheaper and goes together faster. Also once you glue the pvc together you can’t alter it. Wood is more versatile. You can change your designs as needed. You could easily spend 200 bucks on a pvc cart.

Edited by dbjpb

Made this for Outback and Pescador. I've since added bigger wheels and the top rails now run across rather than on the length so I can store the Hobie upside down. Works pretty well and has a lot of storage options. IMG_9555.jpg.caacba167ec1f77d6cd3adcb81d79a49.jpg