Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cudoho

Prefer way to hang an Outback to ceiling

7 posts in this topic

Ive seen a few kits on amazon for pulley systems but that requires space.  In my mess of a garage I installed 3 bicycle hooks in a ceiling beam.  Then I looped some short straps (like really short, you dont want it handing too low) around the carry handles and hobie pedal drive hole (to distribute weight).  Then with 2 people carrying the kayak, one goes up a ladder and hooks the first strap to ceiling and then the rest.

I only did that 1 winter and saw no distortion.  Outback going on 3rd season now.

Its worth noting that my kayak wasnt level while it was suspended.  I originally planned on having it level but my knot skills arent so good and the bow was slightly lower than the rest.  In the end i figured this would create less sag/banana pressure and left it.

I’ve been hanging my Outback and NuCanoe from the garage ceiling for two years now, and no issues with warping. I use a $30 kayak pulley kit from Dicks. 

You'll have to picture this but if you're handy, your ceiling is high enough and you can get to the rafters I suggest getting a small electric hoist/winch, attach it to the roof rafters with a cable down thru the ceiling.  Rig a frame you can park your kayak on (suggest adding two pvc rails) and with cables either to one central point or with pullies you can lift your kayak all the way to the ceiling.  If you do this, just for insurance, attach a couple ceiling hooks you can secure the frame to while the kayak is at its highest point.  Just in case the winch gives.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

It all depends on how much you want to spend...... Guys buy the Harkin kits, They're top end stuff, they offer different variations, they can get pricey though, or you can do something like what i did & buy a 9 dollar harbor freight bicycle hoist.... 

I only hang it through the winter, easy to lower & work on it from time to time, i throw a bunch of things in the kayak before hoisting, probably has 110+ lbs  in there at hoist time, does what it needs to, all other times (Fishing season) it stays on the cart...

I've tested  it to 150# with no problem, could probably have gone much higher but didn't see the point......been using it for a few winters now.

Dicks sells pretty much the same one for like 30 bucks, that set comes with straps (i think)....they both come with the same hardware & do exactly the same thing.....

If you want that one from dicks, look around, they sell the exact same one all over the web,  go to home depot site, 22 bucks....pick up in store..look around, plenty of variations of the same hoist available out there..

Edited by BillZ