adams54

Surf duty spinning reels

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello all its me again with another request for your consideration. Im always looking for deals on surf duty reels and like to keep all my options open. Only problem is theres so many offerings out there its hard to keep my options straight. To help me with this I like to categorize by price range. Keep in mind Im only interested in reels for the surf which to me means theres some attempt to seal out sand and water.

Entry level:

Tsunami shield

Penn spinfisher

Mid level:

Penn slammer 3

Shimano spheros

Shimano saragosa

Van staal vm series *boat reel

High level:

Van staal vr series

Ultra high level :

Shimano stella *boat reel

Penn torque II

Van staal vs series

Zeebaas

Do I have it right so far? Where does daiwa fit into all this? What about Okuma? Which shimano series would fit into my entry level category? How about some manufacturers that Im missing? As I get responses I will update my list to help those in the future that have the same questuon I had. Thanks all!

Edited by adams54

Stella/Saragosa/VS vm are boat reels for the most part.

As far as surf reels, you're getting full waterproofing, or you're not.

So it's it's either your 'ultra high end' swimmable reels, or the rest you need to try to not get really too wet/sandy.  

Adams,  The list looks accurate to me.   Okuma has some popular entry level priced models that I see people using (the bait feeder Avenger models) these seem to work well for what you're paying for them.  

I have Spinfisher and Slammers and like both of them... Slammer I got for cheap over the summer through the amazon link on SOL which made it an easy decision for me.

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

Hello all its me again with another request for your consideration. Im always looking for deals on surf duty reels and like to keep all my options open. Only problem is theres so many offerings out there its hard to keep my options straight. To help me with this I like to categorize by price range. Keep in mind Im only interested in reels for the surf which to me means theres some attempt to seal out sand and water.

Entry level:

Tsunami shield

Penn spinfisher

Mid level:

Penn slammer 3

Shimano spheros

Shimano saragosa

Van staal vm series

High level:

Van staal vr series

Ultra high level :

Shimano stella

Penn torque II

Van staal vs series

Zeebaas

Do I have it right so far? Where does daiwa fit into all this? What about Okuma? Which shimano series would fit into my entry level category? How about some manufacturers that Im missing? As I get responses I will update my list to help those in the future that have the same questuon I had. Thanks all!

The VM series is not sealed, and is strictly a boat reel. Get sand/water near it and you've bought yourself a paperweight. The Stella is a boat reel, as are Daiwa Saltigas. Both are amazing reels, but not "surf" sealed. Your list is accurate otherwise. 

You get what you pay for with surf reels; either it's fully sealed or it's not. 

Okuma has the Makaira series spinning reels.

I have a Makaira 10000 on order (should be simular to the Gosa 10000 and Slammer 6500 in size and capacity, but we will see). Scoob said he will reveiw it once I recieve it.

I get the fully sealed or not issue. But imo not all surf reels need to be fully sealed. Not all surf reels need to be dunked or cranked under water. However imo a surf reel at bare minimum needs some basic sealing against some spray some sand some splashing. I have updated my list with some of the suggestions. Thanks for your input!

3 hours ago, Captain Planet said:

Stella/Saragosa/VS vm are boat reels for the most part.

As far as surf reels, you're getting full waterproofing, or you're not.

So it's it's either your 'ultra high end' swimmable reels, or the rest you need to try to not get really too wet/sandy.  

Gosas are very popular surf reels. Their sealing is just as good, if not better, than most mid level reels.

Edited by C.Robin

2 hours ago, adams54 said:

I get the fully sealed or not issue. But imo not all surf reels need to be fully sealed. Not all surf reels need to be dunked or cranked under water. However imo a surf reel at bare minimum needs some basic sealing against some spray some sand some splashing. I have updated my list with some of the suggestions. Thanks for your input!

That's definitely correct, and some basic sealing is needed. I have an original generation Shimano Ultegra 5500 XSC surf reel. Best casting reel I have ever fished with an awesome drag. I've owned a VR for years, and use that for wading situations. That Ultegra was used heavily so I got my money's worth, but it did not do well after several splashings. I've had the reel completely serviced at a cost of $50 to salvage it. If the new ones were in any way sealed, I'd buy again in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, ChasingTales said:

I wouldn't  put the Penn spinfisfer vi as entry level it's way better than the shield

The categories I used are based on price. Shield and spinfisher are priced similarly. May I ask what makes the spinfisher much better then the shield? They seem fairly on par with each other.

Edited by adams54

You are totally off on the slammer 3. Much higher up. Only slightly less than a VS because they say you cant reel underwater. Ive had mine 3 years Ive done everything with it. Still no water and smooth as hell. I had a VS and the drag on the slammer is better.

58 mins ago, reelfire said:

You are totally off on the slammer 3. Much higher up. Only slightly less than a VS because they say you cant reel underwater. Ive had mine 3 years Ive done everything with it. Still no water and smooth as hell. I had a VS and the drag on the slammer is better.

I grouped them on price 

Well price is the last thing you judge something on. VS and Zbass are rip offs at their new price range. Dont even start me on price of a stella. This is why i sold my VS 250 and bought two slammer 3 s