Garage workbench build

Rate this topic

chitala383

So I've decided that it's time for a proper work bench. I've been using these storage shelves as a workbench, but it's just not cutting it any more. Here's some before pictures, of what I currently have set up.

0423192132.jpg.7b1b36f40c217d62708cd96c9d988233.jpg

0423192132a.jpg.f971f763bebd730a7fe5a38e71676201.jpg

And here, after almost 3 hours of dismantling and cleaning.

0423192310.jpg.4b2eea97321a505ae3529dbebfb67e51.jpg

0423192310a.jpg.ab34307dc2cc48e16511ca7cf6386850.jpg

0423192310b.jpg.e084f3904f682e9a3abd69c28e9579bd.jpg

My plan is to pull down that stupid piece of sheetrock and the useless insulation, that's there for whatever reason IDK. And I'm going to put pegboard along the whole wall. My main workbench will be 10' long and go from the right wall over towards the window. Then, I'll have a dropped down spot for my radial arm saw. Then next to that I'll have a spot for my miter saw. All of the table tops will be flush and level, so I'll have a nice big miter station. The top of the workbench will be at about 40", which leaves me tons of room underneath for storage.

I'll keep this thread up to date, step by step basically. If anyone has any suggestions please share. Hopefully tomorrow I can start the build. So long as work and the kids allow it.

Edited by chitala383

A couple of thoughts. And I say this, understanding this was about a bench. But.... you have it all apart and this would be the time to at least consider some options. Cheaper and easier to do layout now....

Wiring for outlets, switches, and the four foot LED lights.

Insulation is not a bad thing if you can heat the area for winter/cold season work space. It is cheap.

Degrease the floor and put down an epoxy/paint. Easier to clean, keeps the concrete from absorbing dampness, and gives reflective light to the space.  Also hit the block wall foundation.

Do you really need or want to give up space for radial arm saw? What size is your miter saw? Most guys are losing them... Tons on CL for sale.

MDF or MDO for surface. Account for height as you want to have edges covered with trim.

Account for extra framing when you figure out where you want the vice. A wood vice on the side should be on your wish list.

Consider a bench on wheels. Two of mine are. Got them at Rockler.

Lumber rack?

Look through the workshop design magazines. You will see something in them you will want to incorporate into yours.

Look forward to following 

36 mins ago, nightfighter said:

A couple of thoughts. And I say this, understanding this was about a bench. But.... you have it all apart and this would be the time to at least consider some options. Cheaper and easier to do layout now....

Wiring for outlets, switches, and the four foot LED lights.

Insulation is not a bad thing if you can heat the area for winter/cold season work space. It is cheap.

Degrease the floor and put down an epoxy/paint. Easier to clean, keeps the concrete from absorbing dampness, and gives reflective light to the space.  Also hit the block wall foundation.

Do you really need or want to give up space for radial arm saw? What size is your miter saw? Most guys are losing them... Tons on CL for sale.

MDF or MDO for surface. Account for height as you want to have edges covered with trim.

Account for extra framing when you figure out where you want the vice. A wood vice on the side should be on your wish list.

Consider a bench on wheels. Two of mine are. Got them at Rockler.

Lumber rack?

Look through the workshop design magazines. You will see something in them you will want to incorporate into yours.

Look forward to following 

The space isn't setup for heating and cooling, and I don't plan on making it, so insulation is a non issue. It'll be easy enough to cut in outlets after the fact. I was actually thinking about doing a big power strip along the back, maybe like 15 outlets or so. But that too will be easy to do in post. I thought about doing epoxy on the floor, but the whole garage would have to be cleared out in order to do that, and that's not really feasible. My radial arm saw had sentimental value. It was my father's, who passed away too young from cancer back in 2001, so that's not going anywhere. My miter saw is 12". I thought about doing a sacrificial top, but decided to do a double layer of 3/4 plywood and the top layer I'll use my router to give it a chamfered or rounded edge. Not sure which yet. I currently have 2 smaller 4" vices, I was planning on giving them extra support. Eventually I'd like to get a larger vice, but once again, that's easy enough to do in post. My original plan was to stop the bench, or the miter saw station, about 5' from the garage door. That will give me plenty of space for wood storage, including full sheets of plywood standing upright. Though, the more I think about it, the more I think horizontal wood storage would be better for longer lengths. And that can easily be added after the fact as well. I also plan on building some shelves above the bench for storage of things that are rarely used. And under the shelves I was going to do some sort of strip lighting. Not sure exactly what style just yet.

Thanks for the input :th:

I was contemplating the idea of building a workbench for a long time. Then I realized that I have limited space ( a section in the basement) and would have to build it right there without possibility to move it. So I bought a set of the "job site" (foldable) saw horses from HD, put a 2by4 across and topped it with a large flat door (it was cheaper than 2 plywood sheets from store). Mounted a roller for rosin paper on one side and surge protector strip on front 2by4 and call it a day. Later I made a couple of platforms on casters to store toolboxes underneath too.

If I would build it, it would be on casters for sure. 

Lights. I had 4 ft. Added another 4 and it made a huge difference. 

Edited by oceanAddict

8 mins ago, cdsleeve said:

I would add drawers underneath.

A stack here or there or at least a row along the top.

I thought about this as well. I might do a stack of drawers under where the miter saw or radial arm saw will be. Or maybe both. Ideally I would like to find a rolling cabinet that would fit in that space. I'm also thinking I should do some sort of dust collection for the saws. I can put my shop vac under one of the saws with tubes running up. Also something else that can easily be done after the fact.

50 mins ago, chitala383 said:

I thought about this as well. I might do a stack of drawers under where the miter saw or radial arm saw will be. Or maybe both. Ideally I would like to find a rolling cabinet that would fit in that space. I'm also thinking I should do some sort of dust collection for the saws. I can put my shop vac under one of the saws with tubes running up. Also something else that can easily be done after the fact.

I've built I think now eight "garage shops" for guys. 

First two were recovered kitchen cabinets for bases, so a box of drawers somewhere in each. Found out that walking back to the box of drawers to find that wrench or whatever was the biggest beef. Last three that I was allowed to design/build I added a drawer or two just under the top. 45 degree props holding the tops up so the base can be open or shelved or even box cabinet. 

Having a drawer or two every couple foot, under a specific tool, holds most all of the important wrenches, bits, accessories that you need without walking back down to the drawer box to look for them. FWIW, the other two that I "built" were them garage kit thingys. Slat wall and all of that.

Edited by Ben Lippen

Back and side cross beams are up. I secured them to the studs using 5/16 x 3" lag bolts. Turns out that corner of the garage is nowhere near square. There is also about a 1.5" pitch from the back of the garage to the front, which I expected.

0424192131.jpg.01dea7c8a6886d8f8500bacd87b57e72.jpg

Left side and front beams in place with the left leg. I used a 4x4 and dado'd out a recess for the beams to rest in and mitered the beams to join in the corner, just to make it prettier. Aside from the back right corner all other corners are square.

0424192313.jpg.16e1bd0b92bdd4f5cff10ec4378897e5.jpg

0424192314.jpg.6fd52fd9b790fa9d8d15c42104d26d91.jpg

And here I have the center leg, once again with a dado for the beam. I started dropping in the support beams. I'm probably going overboard by spacing them at roughly 16" oc, but I have extra 2x4's so I figured why not. I'm securing the cross supports with pocket screws. I ran out of 2" screws so I had to call it a night. I'll pick up more tomorrow and carry on.

0425190001.jpg.d9ba89aff1114872f85b2b04fc9a51b2.jpg

0424192323.jpg

The sheetrock and insulation will be removed today most likely. I did originally try to use 2 1/2" pocket screws, but they wound up sticking out through the front. Maybe I had the drill bit set up incorrectly. Or maybe I just drove them too deep. IDK. Either way, 2" screws will work just fine.

Top cross supports and shelf frame are all in place. I used 2x2's for the shelf frame. I bolted the rail along the back into the block with those blue concrete screws. I might need to support the front right and back left corners better. Not sure if it's necessary, but it might be. I'll see how sturdy it is once I get a sheet of plywood on it. I ripped down the sheetrock and all of the useless insulation as well.

0425192318.jpg.88d2f37cd2a27279cd3566dbd78f8be0.jpg

0425192318a.jpg.7ea9b31bd0bb66225139243b3bda8458.jpg

I managed to get some of the top on, but it's getting late so I called it a night. Still have to do a small piece on the right side to finish it up. Then I'll get the shelf done. I wish I had nicer plywood for the top, but it was free, so I guess I can't complain. There's a crack and a couple of knots in it. I might take some wood filler to the bag spots to make them a little better. Then I'll probably sand the top smooth when I'm done.

0426190007.jpg.47f15a2f4bc2ee9fa89825ec9a8f4828.jpg

After the shelf is done I'll figure out where I'm going to put outlets and then hang the pegboard. I've decided to do  4, 2 gang outlet boxes, so 4 outlets per box. These will be protected by a gfci as well. I think I'm going to put one box on the wall to the right, 2 on the back wall of the bench, and then another one behind where the radial arm saw and miter saw will be.

Edited by chitala383