Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DerrickT

Penn/Newell guys, I need help

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So I'm building a Penn 200 Surfmaster for my daughters birthday all pimped out with chamealan paint and topped with etex epoxy.  Its composed of a mix of parts from Penn and Newell including a black aluminum Newell spool.  Everything goes together good except there seems to be a problem with the spool.  Doesnt matter if I use the penn barings or the speed barings from Newell.  The spool will not spin freely, there is also a minor delay in the spool engaging when you take it off free spool. The steel spool is fine.  Upon further investigation we've discovered the black spool is a different size then the steel.  So the question is does this black spool actually fit the 200 or is it for another reel.  Here is the code stamped in the end of the spool?

received_441625946647041.jpeg

received_2585591998334351.jpeg

received_384063652449918.jpeg

received_316640849026890.jpeg

received_551652658690532.jpeg

received_332850900918238.jpeg

received_320700025237022.jpeg

received_2633899546624943.jpeg

He got the parts from me.

I'm thinking I mixed a Squidder spool with the Surfmaster stuff - it's the only explanation I can come up with

Way back when someone hooked us up here with a data speck sheet of the Newell Penn parts. Does anyone have it ? Stewie ??

I have a Newell Squidder spool. If I can find me vernier, I'll get the specs off of it.

I only have standard inch stuff and I suck at math, but those are not Squidder spools. The Squidder has the click "gear" about 3/16" outside of the bell, and the shaft has a shoulder 3/16 past the "gear".

The markings "CN"and the raised dots are exactly the same as the ones on my Newell spool for a Squidder 140. I would guess that they used the same aluminum castings for both, but with different steel shafts.

Is everything okay in the right side plate? Those reels weren't built with real tight spacing on everything, and the delay you spoke of makes me think something isn't right in the guts. I took a Squidder apart once.It took me a long time to reassemble it. After that I always brought them to Martha at Surfland in Newburyport Mass. No one in the world is as good with reels as Martha. If you have time, send it to her. She has most of the parts for these old reels in stock too.

Good luck with it, and please let us know how it works out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looking for the spool, I found a half dozen extra 140 spools. Is there something wrong with me?

spools.jpg

Edited by Stewie

I will check the side plate and guts tonight, the guts are all stainless and not brass.  I dont think I had any issues with the steel spool in there but I will check again.

So far the black spool being a hair longer with a shorter shaft seems to be the issue.

Looks like you got the squidder and surfmaster spools switched.

A few years back I posted that Newel to Penn parts chart - i actually copied it from Sudsys post on another Striper forum that I'm not sure if it's even around anymore, it was

Removed from her within an hour...

Posted (edited) · Report post

So oddly enough I put this thing back together and it works perfectly :huh:

Only thing I can up with is I have a 4 point bar and 2 post instead of 4 single post.  Last night I had the 4 point bar on the bottom and the 2 post up top. :huh:

20190424_201841.jpg

20190424_201848.jpg

20190424_201856.jpg

20190424_202056.jpg

Edited by DerrickT