Jewjitzu

Chunking without a clicker?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Have a saltiga 15. Have a trini 12. Only want to keep one. Love the saltiga for the low gear. The trini has a clicker. I primarily fluke and blackfish. But I do some striped bass as well (so far have only diamond jigged). 

Is it possible to chunk without a bait clicker? Or does it just totally defeat the point of leaving the reel disengaged so the bass can run with it?

hands down....scrap the clickerless reel......

Coming from someone who has been chunking with all the low pros.......it really sucks having no clicker.......whether it be rigging and no having line shoot out....or bait and wait......clickers aren't just a luxury on an anchored boat in current or adrift in the wind....you can't always watch the rod and you can't always hear it.   

You also can't always keep the reel in freespool.

There is only one clickerless reel that can kinda pull it off....but it ain't whatcha got :)  

(on the beach holding the rod it ain't that bad....boat chunking is a different animal though)

7 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

hands down....scrap the clickerless reel......

Coming from someone who has been chunking with all the low pros.......it really sucks having no clicker.......whether it be rigging and no having line shoot out....or bait and wait......clickers aren't just a luxury on an anchored boat in current or adrift in the wind....you can't always watch the rod and you can't always hear it.   

You also can't always keep the reel in freespool.

There is only one clickerless reel that can kinda pull it off....but it ain't whatcha got :)  

(on the beach holding the rod it ain't that bad....boat chunking is a different animal though)

Sadly that’s actually how I learned to rig. Flipping on the clicker and disengaging. First time I tried to rig, and didn’t know to do it with the clicker I made a huge mess and debated selling the reel :beatin: Noobs. 

39 mins ago, Jewjitzu said:

Is it possible to chunk without a bait clicker? Or does it just totally defeat the point of leaving the reel disengaged so the bass can run with it?

Back off on the drag. The clicker is a line out alarm. :witty:

43 mins ago, Jewjitzu said:

Have a saltiga 15. Have a trini 12. Only want to keep one. Love the saltiga for the low gear. The trini has a clicker. I primarily fluke and blackfish. But I do some striped bass as well (so far have only diamond jigged). 

Unless youre specifically talking conventional reels, I personally chunk from a boat and surf fish without a clicker all the time, then again I rarely put it in the rod holder or spike. Ill either use a liveliner reel or have the drag loose. Also using a circle hook helps significantly, just let them run with it, dont set it right away. Half the battle is already won when a fish is on with a circle hook

2 mins ago, Ravens52988 said:

Unless youre specifically talking conventional reels, I personally chunk from a boat and surf fish without a clicker all the time, then again I rarely put it in the rod holder or spike. Ill either use a liveliner reel or have the drag loose. Also using a circle hook helps significantly, just let them run with it, dont set it right away. Half the battle is already won when a fish is on with a circle hook

Spiike it and use a circle hook, might as well take up golf.  Feeling or guessing the take and the setting the hook are the two most important aspect I love about fishing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, hobobob said:

Spiike it and use a circle hook, might as well take up golf.  Feeling or guessing the take and the setting the hook are the two most important aspect I love about fishing.

Should never guess the take. Whats wrong about using a circle hook? Id think most smart ethical fisherman want to use something that helps with the set and mortality rate of fish. Work smarter, not harder. There calls for times when using a spike is needed. Are you one to stand there and hold a 65/7500+ reel and 10-12 ft rod all day, after casting and reeling, it can get tiresome.

Edited by Ravens52988

2 hours ago, Ravens52988 said:

I am strictly using a conventional reel from party boats/ smaller 6 man charter boats. 

I like the clicker, but you can get away with it easier on a leverdrag.  Just barely engage the drag, and then it wont overrun.  Then slam it into strike when the fish picks it up.  

5 hours ago, hobobob said:

Once you hit Delaware and south that's 90% of what's done.  Nothing for there to be 3 to 5 rod setups and circles are pretty much all that's used. 

1 hour ago, Captain Planet said:

I like the clicker, but you can get away with it easier on a leverdrag.  Just barely engage the drag, and then it wont overrun.  Then slam it into strike when the fish picks it up.  

Problem with so many LD's just a bump out of free spool is 2lbs  SMH

14 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Problem with so many LD's just a bump out of free spool is 2lbs  SMH

It is nice when you need it, especially when fishing stronger currents and using large live baits for fish that don't care about extra tension.

Not so much if the fish are acting overly sensitive.

I've gone through the same scenario. Same reels. Getting rid of one is a tough call. I vote keep both. I feel the Daiwa is a far superior reel in every way-Period. I also think the Trini has a perfect clicker. Your other option is sell both and get a Saltiga 20- has a clicker(no spool-loc). But before you do, the clicker is too soft, and the new rubber handle plain sucks. Good luck.