drmevo

New Hobie model just announced

43 posts in this topic

Hobie just announced a new model called the Passport. It's thermoformed like a Pelican and has a similar cassette for the drive well. It's 10'5" and weighs 65lbs. Worth a look for all the people looking to purchase a new pedal yak. The best part? It's only $1299.

hobie.PNG.1fa28c7e13c6efe5c7941829c0f9d9be.PNG

1 min ago, The Riddler said:

That would make a nice winter kayak for me. 

I'm thinking about one for freshwater and back bays.

Just watched the Hobie setup video on YouTube. The rudder is a twist up design but it's manual, meaning there are no up/down pull cords. You put it down by hand when you launch and it's spring-loaded so if you hit an obstruction it should go pop up and then go back down. The only somewhat major negative I'm seeing is lack of a transducer mount (I'm assuming it's not there, they don't mention it anywhere and it's not listed in the specs like all the other kayaks). There's always duct seal but it would be worth another $100 or so to me to have it. 

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

Just watched the Hobie setup video on YouTube. The rudder is a twist up design but it's manual, meaning there are no up/down pull cords. You put it down by hand when you launch and it's spring-loaded so if you hit an obstruction it should go pop up and then go back down. The only somewhat major negative I'm seeing is lack of a transducer mount (I'm assuming it's not there, they don't mention it anywhere and it's not listed in the specs like all the other kayaks). There's always duct seal but it would be worth another $100 or so to me to have it. 

Could always put a rudder ready kit on it.

79050306-hobie-rudder-ready-kit.jpg

1 min ago, Stripermadness said:

Looks cool but I would still go with the outback or PA for the salt

What makes the Outback and PA good for the Salt?

10-11 kayaks are nice little platforms to have but agree when the wind picks up it can be a pain in the ass. I hope Hobie comes out with a 14' version thermoformed 28" wide, let us choose our own seat, add some rock and front hatch and it could give us something worthy for the salt.

Its just this new model seems like it sits very low in the water and wouldn’t hold up as well in rough conditions. Plus the outback and PA are arguably more geared toward fishing... more storage, rod holders, sharper hull for cutting through waves, etc. just my opinion 

You have it backwards. Sitting low with low free board is more stable than sitting high with more free board and volume. The PA can pancake and you can turtle in an Outback. Believe me on open water when you dump it's easier to recover in a Revo 13 than the PA or Outback.

Competitors copied the mirage drive fins and Hobie is hitting back by taking their ideas/features (cassette mount, thermoform). I like it. Maybe it will result in some interesting new improvements.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The price is what shocked me on this. A price war is due and reset of the market would be spectacular. I still can’t believe a plastic boat that has been produced for so many years increases in price every year and many years without any major changes. 

Maybe it took other brands to cause them to figure out how to take the prices in a different direction? My guess is that they will make the compass cheaper with similar characteristics and the other boats rise as they do.

Bigger question will be the quality vs the cost?

That  said, I still value higher quality over a better price as junk that takes my time away from fishing is far more expensive than initial prices. 

Edited by NHAngler