Jsnake4

Surf rod selection help

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I'd be interested in a Suzuki, maybe if they used something other than Eva grips... cant stand them.

Get the blank.

8 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I'd be interested in a Suzuki, maybe if they used something other than Eva grips... cant stand them.

Same here

8 hours ago, reelfire said:

Get the blank.

exactly what was said here.  get the blank and put any grips you want on it.  the rod is a beast and being less than $100 for the blank you cant go wrong.  ive put fluke, blues and bass on the beach with it.  it handles anywhere from 1/4oz up to and over the listed 3oz.

its so good im going to build a striper special when i get the chance to replace my bigger rod.

Check out the TFO Gary Loomis Tactical Surf Rods. Insanely light weight and strong with a limited lifetime warranty. Around $250

Does your Ben Doerr have the cork foregrip?  If it does, I doubt you will find a lighter, more versatile rod. Why not use that one and spend the money on something cool?

On 4/23/2019 at 2:50 PM, CrashHard23 said:

look at the ODM frontier x 8’6. I was extremely satisfied casting it. Took all the plugs in my bag from 3/4 to 3 oz and started throwing and before I knew it 2 hours passed by. Time flys when your having fun.

How does the rod cast? Just ordered one. I have a 10’6 legend I use, and wanted to get a smaller one for walking the beach. Went with odm. Couldn’t decide between the 9’6 and the 8’6. Figured the 9’6 would be too similar to the 10’6. Not a lot out there on the 8’6. 

On 25.4.2019. at 0:55 AM, Theseeker66 said:

Dude it is mind grenade good.  Will throw and feel a 1/2 oz, but somehow isn't scary to throw with 2+ oz. I feel like if I had one a few years ago the rest of my rod/tackle selection would have been approached differently.  

‘do not handle unless prepared to buy’!

53 mins ago, FatTailWagging said:

Are you referring to the Black Hole Suzuki or ODM Frontier X?

in general

Dude it is mind grenade good. 

a lightweight 9 looks ideal for that reel since its about 15 oz. I would recommend odm or a st. croix legend. If looking for something affordable okuma rockaway is 100 and very good, odn dna 9 footer is around 200.