Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kanine Kleenup

Birthday bash- catered or cook it ourselves

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Gonna turn the big 60 in June..talking about a big party, 75 to 100 people..all day, well into the night. The wife wants to look into a caterer, but it will be expensive. I’m thinking of finding an oil drum grill and cooking chicken. Load up on Costco side dishes and save tons of money. I’ll have help, and would not be a problem cooking, but it’s my birthday. Think I should hire out, sit back and have a few cocktails?

13 hours ago, Kml said:

I agree to cater. I'd get a full service that cleans up too.

Cool avatar. Is that still on anywhere? ;)

12 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Cool avatar. Is that still on anywhere? ;)

I don't think so. I was just messing around and found it online.

Compromise and do the food prep yourself, but hire three people to serve the food and clean up.

Maybe find a grill that FD or others use for roadside chicken fundraisers.  100 people is probably 30 chickens split. Be at it all day on a drum but maybe that’s part of the plan. With help manageable with prepared sides. 

On 4/22/2019 at 5:19 PM, MakoMike said:

Definitely! It's a lot of work, no matter how good you are. Pay the price, sit back, and enjoy!

21 hours ago, Kml said:

I don't think so. I was just messing around and found it online.

Agree. My wife & I cooked for ~50 once for her aunt & uncle's 50th anniversary. I would never do it for my own party. About 20 is all I care to cook for.

Get a pig roasting box - in the $300 range brand new, and roast a whole suckling pig

Get the Costco sides

After the party sell the roasting box

9 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Get a pig roasting box - in the $300 range brand new, and roast a whole suckling pig

Get the Costco sides

After the party sell the roasting box

Wise ^^^ And you can do the chickens in it instead/also. Magical devices, them pig boxes. Cut yer cooking time in half or probably more for chicken.

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

Wise ^^^ And you can do the chickens in it instead/also. Magical devices, them pig boxes. Cut yer cooking time in half or probably more for chicken.

I'm far from wise - but I have friends who are

Digger did this for his sons graduation party - it was great !

So how many times do you turn 60?? Obviously a rhetorical question. Yet you want to stand at a grill all the time. Wow is all I have to say. 

Get a caterer and sit back enjoy your company and your day. What are you actually saving dollar wise. The food is money spent, be it you buy it or they do. So you’re paying for man hours of time they will charge you. Plus this doesn’t have to be just burgers, hot dogs and chicken. You can have specific style of chicken dishes and pasta for an example. Burgers and dogs and still good to have for kids. The number of product you’ll have to buy or assume to know how much to buy. They will clean, set up and keep trays full. So they charge you $25 per head of attendance, that’s only $2500 plus any added tip. Let’s call it $3000 for numbers cake. What’s your time value for your piece of mind of ease and enjoyment. 

I know my answer and you do too to this.  

My brother has the metal box.  Does  great job but yes alot of work.   If you want to do it right find a nj company that roasts the pig and chicken at your house and have them cater it and enjoy your birthday.  Hire a woman or two to do the serving for coffee and cake and cleanup for your wife too.

Can’t find the right caterer yet.. it’s either burgers and dogs or buffet crap...I definitely don’t want to spend the whole time behind a grill, but I do enjoy that part of a gathering... but sitting back and having a few cold ones while someone else does the work is very tempting.. just gotta find the right caterer...