squammer

Fly Line for Quick Shot Into Rocky Whitewater off of Boat

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone. I bought a sinking line from a member here in the Buy/Sell/Trade part of the site. A Rio Outbound Short WF9I/S6 line 375grain. I am excited to try it out. Now I gotta get another spool for my reel to put it in...

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've got some cows timing casts with the incoming wave and letting the fly  suck back under the ledges  on the way out.  I generally use 4/0 clousers in medium brown with a little gold flash. Maybe a baby lobster maybe a pollock. If they aren't being aggressive, a  yellow over white Deceiver with a fair amount of flash. That crazy green water is your friend.  The outside of Straitsmouth and Thatcher's, too. Some of the best days of my life out there. Hope you guys have some boat skills.  350-400 on a 9 or 10 for me. You're right in the zone with your choice of rod and line IMO and others guys who fish there, too.   Just remember, you have to land the fish, your buddy is going to be busy keeping you in the ocean and not on the rocks.  I've hand lined  a bunch of fish.  Also had fly lines wrapped around boulders by fish that turned the boat around with my knees jammed in the gunwhales.  Didn't feel the pain til they snapped off.......

Edited by bloosfisher

On 4/22/2019 at 6:17 PM, Kml said:

I would have the caster in the bow do a water haul as we got close. Basically just leave the line head in the water and fire it off without a false cast when ready.

This is probably one of the better pieces of advice so far to limit false casts considering your (OP’s) original comment about not being the best caster.  A well practiced water haul, and hauling on the next forward cast should get you a quick launch especially with a shooting head style line.

Another line option worth considering is an Airflo 40+ sinking line.  I’ve found this line to “feel” heavy and really load a rod quick.

As as far as leaders and tippets go, I am not sure if you are best off using heavier line/gear to dog the fish out of the rocks to prevent break offs in the rocks, or fish lighter tippets so the if you get snagged, you don’t lose too much.  Personally, I think I’d fish heavier gear and heavier line to try and get the fish into more open water quickly.

Another short-headed line you could look into is one made by Cortland, their "Specialty Series Compact," which includes a Type 9 sink.   I'm mentioning it because when I've seen it, it tends to be on sale more often than the Rios :-)   I bought intermediate and sinking versions last year that I used for boat fishing.

Yep Rio Outbound InTouch S6

get the intouch version fewer tangles

but in these circumstances you probably need the caster to be in the stern.

always keep the bow out and facing incoming waves 

Squammer,

I've been fly fishing between Nahant and Manchester in close to the ledges and rocks ever since the mid 70's, I usually fish alone and yes, the fishing can be good and it is almost always exciting, but keep in mind the fact that the boat handling aspect of the situation always needs to be more important than fishing/catching.

30 mins ago, dcobbett said:

Squammer,

I've been fly fishing between Nahant and Manchester in close to the ledges and rocks ever since the mid 70's, I usually fish alone and yes, the fishing can be good and it is almost always exciting, but keep in mind the fact that the boat handling aspect of the situation always needs to be more important than fishing/catching.

I agree. I'll see you out there! What type of boat do you have?

1 hour ago, dcobbett said:

1976 20' SeaCraft.

I love that boat.

I'm in a 20ft Aquasport Osprey from the late '80s. It says "Stir Crazy" in red on the sides (lol) -- hard to miss. See you near the rocks.