fishfinder401

Turned wooden handles

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

So, i got my hands on a few rod blanks pretty inexpensively, and wanted to play around with some different handle designs, so i started thinking, why not take a semi light wood, like a soft maple, birch etc, and turn it into handle pieces to use like cork? I know it wont be the lightest thing i could use, but in applications where weight isn't a big issue... why not? has any one tried something similar? 

Wood grips are very common.  In terms of weight, it will vary depending on the species of tree.  Some are woods are very durable and others need to be finished or stabilized so they don't rot.  The elusive soft maple...now that remains to be seen. :p

8 mins ago, tbush said:

Wood grips are very common.  In terms of weight, it will vary depending on the species of tree.  Some are woods are very durable and others need to be finished or stabilized so they don't rot.  The elusive soft maple...now that remains to be seen. :p

Haha, I guess it's still a hard maple, just mean more so the maple you get at like home depot, not anything like rock maple

A great source for info is wood-database dot com.  It will list rot resistance, origin, hardness (or lack there of lol) of just about any wood on the planet.  

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

Something like this?  In my opinion it would actually make the rod balance better where the weight is positioned.

ARMS-CHALLENGE-SPINNING-A6103XS-GIN-FIZZ-WALNUT-MEGABASS-INTERNATIONAL-FISHING.jpg.d657e7061f914e741cffc7fe9edd4f5d.jpg

i mean i wasn't thinking quite that intricate at first... but now that looks tempting haha, and yeah, i guess depending on the blank and reel it definitely could help with the balance 

49 mins ago, cmdrzog said:

probably a reason you don't see them anymore

download-2.jpg

images.jpg

download.jpg

well those usually have the blanks ending in the reel seat area, so thats why those ones are gone... that and weight of  a solid chunk like that