new fish finder fior kayak.

I am in the process of purchasing a new kayak.  I think I have it down to two models on the Austin kayak site:  A lowrance hook 2 5 triple shoot soo kHz high chirp for 399.00 or a hummingbird helix 5 chirp si g2 side image gps for 449.  on sale.  anyone out there have any experience with these models.  I am primarily interested in the side view and dsi.  Don't care much about GPS or maps but they all seem to come that way.  Any help would be appreciated.  thanks Charlie. 

Having depth contour data is extremely helpful.... almost necessary...so "maps" are highly desirable.  And navigation...the abilt to record locations for future reference...all very very good.  I'm thinking all the areas around "the point" Charlie.

Maps....just get Navionics Regional.  Even if you have to save up or wait for a sale.

That being said...my only experience is with the older generation Lowrance Hook series.

What kayak did you get?

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

Would give my vote to get a fish-finder with GPS built in...it is not only very handy with a fog or night fishing ( ask r111 about last Sunday trip) but it is very convenient of marking spots where you  found or caught fish  so you can return to the same spot the same day or day after...when trolling you can follow your trail back to the location you got a hit...I would say that GPS is more useful than side imaging in my opinion

Edited by computeruser

If it were a choice between GPS and SI ... GPS without a doubt. SI is a nice to have, I seldomly use it tbh.

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

Go with the Humminbird, had the Hook on my boat and nothing but problems with zero help from customer service. Took the loss on the chin and tossed it in the garbage, grabbed a Humminbird and it has been amazing. 

1 hour ago, Nick F said:

Go with the Humminbird, had the Hook on my boat and nothing but problems with zero help from customer service. Took the loss on the chin and tossed it in the garbage, grabbed a Humminbird and it has been amazing. 

What kind of problems? Mine has been great.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

8 hours ago, Africaster said:

If it were a choice between GPS and SI ... GPS without a doubt. SI is a nice to have, I seldomly use it tbh.

Used the Mega si a lot last night.  It really helped knowing which side of the yak the fish were and usually got hits at that side too.  Really cool stuff.   It’ll be a huge help when I start fishing freshwater.  It’s probably more useful finding structures in a lake than a flat featureless bay, lol 

Edited by GeoffT

7 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

What kind of problems? Mine has been great.

It worked perfectly after initial setup for the first few times out and then the problems started one after another. First the depth sounder stopped working, then the fish finder just showed fuzz from top to bottom. Called Lowrance and they weren’t sure of the issue (and made it sound like I didn’t install it properly even though it worked perfect initially) and spoke to me like I was mechanically inclined which was just annoying and said to “keep messing with it”. Bought a new transducer at West Marine and installed it, same issue. Went through every possible setting and part on the unit until I decided to throw it in the garage, I had wasted enough time. 

3 hours ago, Nick F said:

It worked perfectly after initial setup for the first few times out and then the problems started one after another. First the depth sounder stopped working, then the fish finder just showed fuzz from top to bottom. Called Lowrance and they weren’t sure of the issue (and made it sound like I didn’t install it properly even though it worked perfect initially) and spoke to me like I was mechanically inclined which was just annoying and said to “keep messing with it”. Bought a new transducer at West Marine and installed it, same issue. Went through every possible setting and part on the unit until I decided to throw it in the garage, I had wasted enough time. 

You literally threw it in the trash? Might've been able to get a few bucks for it...

I had a Hook 4 Chirp before upgrading to the elite Ti2. It wasn’t a bad unit by any means. More of an entry level unit. Just wasn’t really user friendly. Like it was hard to figure out the features in it. But it did it’s job so can’t complain. Definitely get a unit with GPS.