Canal changes?

Rate this topic

Gwiz

15 mins ago, nateD said:

Anyone have links to these "studies", can't find anything besides the normal 8%.

Exactly. 

Lots of people are playing fast and loose throwing around all these mortality figures. But, where's the factual data to back it up? Who did an actual study? It all appears to be speculation.

Many of the floaters I personally saw last summer were the result of highgrading. Saw it many times, with my own eyes, and trust me, I spoke up.

Now I will say I suspect many fish died due to novices using inappropriate tackle. The novice throwing a 4oz plug on a 7' rod and hooking a 30lb fish. Fights it for 25min. Fish it completely exhausted, upon release it rolls over and drifts away.

The Sultan of Sluggo

5 mins ago, nateD said:

So your entire viewpoint is based off a study that you are not sure of how they came to a conclusion? Do these people tag hundreds of caught and released fish? Are these studies specific to stripers? If the canal were CNR only, would there not be far less people fishing?

I just keep 'most' everything I catch...only when I am up to catching my limit...and then go home and ....eat them.:howdy:

My "entire viewpoint" is based on catch and keep to 'eat'...and then done. I don't fish stripers for "sport" to the degree some think of as a 'game fish'.

I really don't catch that many a year anyways.

nateD, you are making assumptions, to the degree you think that if the canal were only C&R , that would remove crowds....which is not the point of C&R program anyways.....

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

C&R kills anywhere between 9 and 90% of the fish that are released. At the canal during the summer with the warm water, I would wager that less than 50% of the released fish survive.

If there was a way to verify this, I would take that action for a lot!  :rav:

No way that is true.  

4 mins ago, FishRatz said:

I just keep 'most' everything I catch...only when I am up to catching my limit...and then go home and ....eat them.:howdy:

My "entire viewpoint" is based on catch and keep to 'eat'...and then done. I don't fish stripers for "sport" to the degree some think of as a 'game fish'.

I really don't catch that many a year anyways.

nateD, you are making assumptions, to the degree you think that if the canal were only C&R , that would remove crowds....which is not the point of C&R program anyways.....

That's cool, do whatever you want, I also eat fresh and saltwater fish all year, but I also love the sport of it. I'm not judging anyone, I just don't see how C&R for striped bass will do anything but good things for the fish, and feel like less crowds would be a factor. What is the point of C&R program?

11 mins ago, bob_G said:

Exactly. 

Lots of people are playing fast and loose throwing around all these mortality figures. But, where's the factual data to back it up? Who did an actual study? It all appears to be speculation.

Many of the floaters I personally saw last summer were the result of highgrading. Saw it many times, with my own eyes, and trust me, I spoke up.

Now I will say I suspect many fish died due to novices using inappropriate tackle. The novice throwing a 4oz plug on a 7' rod and hooking a 30lb fish. Fights it for 25min. Fish it completely exhausted, upon release it rolls over and drifts away.

Besides the floaters that everyone sees, what about the fish that swam away, exhausted...…  They are to worn out to evade a hungry seal, shark or one of their own.  An exhausted fish can fall prey to any predator, it's the way of the wild and many times we, as fishermen, help it along.  Fishing is a blood sport, fish are going to die, if it bothers someone, take up golf.

10 mins ago, b-ware said:

....  Fishing is a blood sport, fish are going to die, if it bothers someone, take up golf.

exactly....stop fooling yourselves ....you C&R fishermen are somehow "protecting" the fishery ......

Just CATCH and KILL and EAT the damn things and be happy about it. But don't go preaching this 'protection' mentality with C&R.

Or, C&R to waste if that's your style...but admit it at least.  

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

C&R kills anywhere between 9 and 90% of the fish that are released. At the canal during the summer with the warm water, I would wager that less than 50% of the released fish survive.

Mikey, Mortality is part of every species that we fish on and given the rash over these past years with many floaters in and around the canal one would be hard pressed to say that a few folks need some further lessons in how to handle fish of size after they battle them under the conditions such as we have here in the Canal area itself and land them. I would say even those of us that know how to release a fish also have a mortality rate of those we release and think have made it for another time to be caught again

. I have seen  what transpires when fishing these fast moving water how many fish that get released simply become disoriented and get into a situation where they even in some cases end up lodged in between the holes where the rocks line the edges in places. Simply to die and wait for the change of the water current to become dislodged and float .

Also like a post stated above too many fishing with stuff more suitable from a beach front then the canal itself. How many times do you see someone fighting a fish and wonder when will they bring it in , because the rod or the reel is not up to the task of subduing it in short order.

That is one thing with a smaller fish, but as you know the larger the fish and the longer it is fought, the less likely it will have enough life to survive upon being released before it should. At what point what may appear as a good release is really not . Your sitting in the middle of a blitz you catch a fish of size, battle it to landing , seeing the school all over the place busting , the excitement is to much to handle and the fish is released in what you hope are good conditions, but actually are not .  Then you take those who use the old field goal approach to releasing spent fish , which still occurres and those that get dropped from a high fishing platform , so many different aspects and yet it is any wonder we get as many to survive as you posted above. We are all still killing to many fish one way or another and that is something that needs to be addressed by each of us that fish . We all need to work in a more cooperatively manner that respects the fish more then we are now . It goes with out saying that poaching also is a contributing agent to this dilemma mortality  . 

Have you seen any fish at  Deep Hole Yet{ where the sportsmans club is located} at M

Edited by Angler #1

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

7 mins ago, nateD said:

From '99, same conlusion, 9% for conventional bait hooks, 0.8% for fish caught on circle hooks (AKA hooked in the mouth), and bait fishing is the only method used for any of these studies I'm reading.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Documents/crsb.pdf

For the most part that is about all of the studies they have actually done . The rest is visual estimates in my opinion.

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

11 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Mikey, Mortality is part of every species that we fish on and given the rash over these past years with many floaters in and around the canal one would be hard pressed to say that a few folks need some further lessons in how to handle fish of size after they battle them under the conditions such as we have here in the Canal area itself and land them. I would say even those of us that know how to release a fish also have a mortality rate of those we release and think have made it for another time to be caught again

. I have seen  what transpires when fishing these fast moving water how many fish that get released simply become disoriented and get into a situation where they even in some cases end up lodged in between the holes where the rocks line the edges in places. Simply to die and wait for the change of the water current to become dislodged and float .

Also like a post stated above too many fishing with stuff more suitable from a beach front then the canal itself. How many times do you see someone fighting a fish and wonder when will they bring it in , because the rod or the reel is not up to the task of subduing it in short order.

That is one thing with a smaller fish, but as you know the larger the fish and the longer it is fought, the less likely it will have enough life to survive upon being released before it should. At what point what may appear as a good release is really not . Your sitting in the middle of a blitz you catch a fish of size, battle it to landing , seeing the school all over the place busting , the excitement is to much to handle and the fish is released in what you hope are good conditions, but actually are not .  Then you take those who use the old field goal approach to releasing spent fish , which still occurres and those that get dropped from a high fishing platform , so many different aspects and yet it is any wonder we get as many to survive as you posted above. We are all still killing to many fish one way or another and that is something that needs to be addressed by each of us that fish . We all need to work in a more cooperatively manner that respects the fish more then we are now . It goes with out saying that poaching also is a contributing agent to this dilemma mortality  . 

Have you seen any fish at  Deep Hole Yet{ where the sportsmans club is located} at M

Not spending a lot of time up in RI without the boat in the water. Should go in this week, then I'll be up there a lot more.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

11 mins ago, nateD said:

From '99, same conlusion, 9% for conventional bait hooks, 0.8% for fish caught on circle hooks (AKA hooked in the mouth), and bait fishing is the only method used for any of these studies I'm reading.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Documents/crsb.pdf

I hate to watch a guy fighting a fish and taking 10 minutes to get hook /hooks out of fishes mouth, taking videos bull chittin with his neighbor's and getting around to just throwing fish back in. Never making any attempt to help revive the striper. It pissis me off!!!!! Let's just admit that there is a lot of mortality with fish that are caught IN THE CANAL. LET'S ALL DO OUR BEST TO REVIVE FISH AND SEND THEM ON THEIR WAY AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, FOR A SAFE AND HEALTHY RELEASE FOR ANOTHER DAY. THEN LET'S INCREASE SIZE LIMIT TO 36 """"" :beatin::rav:

Edited by Deep Hole

(*member formerly known as 'Johhygolf')

37 mins ago, TLap21 said:

If there was a way to verify this, I would take that action for a lot!  :rav:

No way that is true.  

Google up "Maryland striped bass mortality study" and read it for yourself.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

12 mins ago, FishRatz said:

exactly....stop fooling yourselves ....you C&R fishermen are somehow "protecting" the fishery ......

Just CATCH and KILL and EAT the damn things and be happy about it. But don't go preaching this 'protection' mentality with C&R.

Or, C&R to waste if that's your style...but admit it at least.  

I eat fluke, seabass, and tog, they taste better, even largemouth, perch, and crappie through the ice taste better. You might be hearing preaching in your head but noone here is preaching, just expressing opinions and trying to get the facts straight. 

Again, does anyone here think C&R only would significantly reduce crowds at the canal? I don't live there, but IMO it would cut the striper fisherman in half in my area at least