Gwiz

Canal changes?

Rate this topic

180 posts in this topic

A friend of mine was at a regional fisheries meeting about two weeks ago . The topic of striker population was brought up as well as possible changes. One thing the Feds brought up was the very good possibility that the canal would be catch and release only. 

He said most of the guys there were in favor of it. A lot of talk of the slaughter that took place there the past two years. Guys were discussed by the behavior they saw. We are our own worst enemy. 

29 mins ago, Gwiz said:

A friend of mine was at a regional fisheries meeting about two weeks ago . The topic of striker population was brought up as well as possible changes. One thing the Feds brought up was the very good possibility that the canal would be catch and release only. 

April fools?????

I wouldn't mind

Never happen, and rightly so.  If you put the Canal as a catch & release, that opens up the door for the next place to be catch & release.  What's next?  Outer Cape, Block Island, VA/MD?  Montauk?

1 hour ago, Gwiz said:

The feds don't manage striped bass.

Something has to be done. How about starting with 36" limit for Keeps. I wouldn't mind the Total catch and release in the canal.

Nothing is going to make everyone happy, but something needs to be done and now. 

12 mins ago, Deep Hole said:

Something has to be done. How about starting with 36" limit for Keeps. I wouldn't mind the Total catch and release in the canal.

Nothing is going to make everyone happy, but something needs to be done and now. 

Figure out a way to turn fishermen into sportsmen...………..

It's all about enforcement to make any regulation work. There aren't enough wardens around to enforce the laws. When was the last time you were checked? FishHawk