tomkaz

Obsession? Do You Analyze the Fishing Potential of ANY Water You See?

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Today we drove to friends' house an hour away down the Florida Turnpike. Along the way we passed all sorts of canals, containment ponds and housing development ponds/lakes. And once again, my wife called me out for "distracted driving" as I eyed most of these bodies of water and assessed their fishability.*

It is has been like this for decades and mostly unconsciously when passing a body of water. Ocean, bay, beach, lake, river, canal and gold course pond, I find myself thinking about what fish might live there, where and how I would approach the spot as far as gear and tactics. From cars, planes, etc, always wondering. Driving I. The mountains out West or up in the Delaware River basin is particularly tough where you can assess every inch of rivers for their trout-holding potential. 

More than once the Mrs. (as well as a couple of my sons) has suggested I am obsessed.

Ur, uh, maybe, but that has me wondering if I might be the only one? 

So, do you look at water and think about the possibilities? 

* Distracted in my wife's usage is not detrimental to my ability to drive safely, it was that I lost track of our conversation and apparently did not respond to a question she asked. It was right about the time we passed a canal half-filled with lily pads and I was wondering if a frog dragged through there might get blasted.....uh, well, she got me. 

Edited by tomkaz

I also race Inboard Hydroplanes, so I'm twice as guilty. I look to see if it's raceable and I look to see if it's fishable. It borders on compulsive behavior, but no...you aren't the only one.

I do it all the time, everything form ocean coastline to road side trickles. On a recent flight over the Philippines I took pictures of promising looking areas so I can look them up and maybe get there in the future.

To go one step further, if I see water on TV or in movies, my mind drifts to how I would fish it.

Yes. Every single body of water, every single time. 

Current, water clarity, topography/structure, cover etc 

It's reflexive.  I'm not sure that you can help it.  It's just like looking for deer and other game when you're looking out over woodland openings, hillsides, farm fields, etc.

1 hour ago, ccb said:

And what are you looking for?

Yesterday was marking places in my head and trying to determine if I can access them on my bike. Most would require driving someplace closer, parking in a shopping center parking lot and then jumping on bike to get to the water. 

There is a canal that parallels I95 for a couple of miles about seven miles from my house that has no street parking along it. I think I would park at strip mall on north end and ride south, casting and peddling along the way. 

What I am looking for is fishy water and trying to determine the best way to get to it AND the best way to cover it. 

Ocean and freshwater setups. 

F31F3117-AFD4-423B-A1E0-56AC4DDD856E.jpeg.648d538ba7dc3451fe21424fe8e5fbdc.jpeg

4F020BFD-111C-4972-8FE2-5B5952A4F75D.jpeg.14a4334ce344294ebbb8466f1cb4d871.jpeg